Stoneware stein with handwritten mark, can't read

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Oct 22, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This isn't an old one as it's dated 1991 and probably is just a studio piece however the other stein thread reminded me to look again at this. I never have been able to read it so if anyone can I'd appreciate the guidance. Here's my guess but I could be completely wrong.

A. Greiner Gri oue of Bairhe__ (symbol) 1991

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-4.jpg Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-5.jpg

gregsglass and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

what you have is an Alsatian (woofwoof...) stein made by Albert Greiner, grés au sel (simply meaning saltglaze in French) in the village of Beinheim. I think they're in Betschdorf now.

3. say_it_slowly

Wow, a mystery solved! Thank you thank you! (and my Alsatian thanks you too!)

gregsglass likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi SiS,
    So you are Alsatian also?
    greg

5. say_it_slowly

Nah, just meant my Alsatian (woof woof) stein.:) (Great dogs btw). I'm of Norwegian, Irish, English and a smattering of other Northern European ancestry but not Alsatian that I know of. Never know though.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So, I'm seeing online that the Alsatian dog is the same breed as the German Shepherd dog? Just a different name? Is that correct?

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    They are basically the same. Alsatians are usually longer haired and smaller, they have smaller ears also. My Uncle had Alastians and I remember them as more silver and grey and the Shepards were black and brown. I am leery of shepards since one attacked me when I was three. The Alsatians were so friendly.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh and Figtree3 like this.
  8. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

I think they were called Alsatian by the Brits because everything German was PFUI during WWI.
    what stands at the border and has an IQ of 1 ? a customs official.
    what stands at the border and has an IQ of 101 ? a customs official with his German Shepherd.

kentworld, 707susang and Messilane like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted