Featured "Stop, thief!" - Victorian-era Police Nightstick

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Picked this up at the local flea market today, was one of three on sale, but I liked this one the most.

Research suggests a date of between 1880 - 1900. The seller said he picked it up on a trip to America.

It matches the general style of other nightsticks I've seen online, including the little knob finial / pommel on the end of the handle. Also corresponds with the general size (22-24 inches; this one is 23).

baton01.jpg baton03.jpg baton02.jpg

2. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

If you are researching it also use the word truncheon. You could also use tipstave.

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I have my godfathers night stick from when he was a New York City Police Officer and retired in the early 1950's looks the same except it has a small brass plate just below the handle with his badge number. These were used as dress night sticks.
    100_0055.JPG

Shangas, aaroncab and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

5. Shangas

Thanks, HB.

I have had a couple of people suggest that this isn't actually an antique. But thusfar, I've not read ANYTHING that suggests that it's a reproduction. I know it's from America, and that it's a very old design, but that's it.

Until proven definitively that they reproduce these things, I'm going to say that it's vintage.

6. Shangas

Thanks for your very informative post, @coreya, I did more research on the baton and it matches exactly what you said it was. I don't suppose there'd be any way to fully identify HOW old it is, but at least we know WHAT it is.

Mine doesn't have a brass identification plaque on it. Is there any significance to that?

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

8. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I would believe the nightstick is no older than the teens or twenties, as far as the tag it was more than likely for id of individuals possession.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

kyratango and coreya like this.
  10. Shangas

Thanks Corey!

Any ideas what wood these things were made of? The seller thought it was oak, but I don't know anything about wood types...

11. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Not a clue as to the type of wood other than it would have to be a hard wood of some type.:cigar::cigar::cigar:

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the Chicago PD is very specific (suspect the specs are from their approved supplier) - for this style, "MATERIAL: High density, close and straight grain, black walnut wood, well seasoned and free from defects and blemishes which might impair its strength or detract from its appearance. COLOR: High gloss mahogany." For the lower rank officer's sticks, "MATERIAL: High density, close and straight grain, second growth hickory wood, well seasoned and free from defects and blemishes which might impair its strength or detract from its appearance. COLOR: High gloss walnut." The specific finishing materials are also designated...

~Cheryl

13. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

just so you know , depending where you are this baton is a prohibited weapon, check your local laws .
    Batons and sticks are generally legal to own; however, in many states, they are not legal for civilians to carry for defensive purposes. In some states, you need to be a police officer or on-duty security guard with a particular permit in order to legally carry a baton.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  14. lloyd249

funny story ... a friend of my sons a few years ago put up some brass knuckles for sale at kijiji , not knowing they are a prohibited weapon lol . not too long before the cops showed up to his door and tried to confiscated them, but he didn't have them anymore , i did .So he asked me for them back as he was going to be charged for them ,they had the evidence from the kijiji ad hehehe... i gave them back , but before i did I cut them up with my grinder . still owes me 20 bucks lol .
    P.s. he gave them to the cops and because they were destroyed they didn't charge him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  15. Shangas

So far as I know, batons and such are legal to own here. Antique and vintage ones are traded fairly frequently. Brass knuckles, and certain types of knives are not legal (or at least need permits etc).

Like, owning and selling batons and truncheons is legal. But if you wish to own and/or sell certain types of knives (bayonets, swords, knives over a certain size, etc) then you need a permit. Pocketknives don't fall under this, so I can own, buy, sell as many of those as I want.

lloyd249 likes this.
  16. lloyd249

yes it varies place to place i'm in canada none of it is legal to own or carry , and notice In the words they say illegal carry, not own .

17. lloyd249

i was nabbed with a pair of nunchucks , but they were in my house , homemade and never used as a weapon , they were used to flail rice as a tool , so it was the same as say killing or hurting someone with a tool , it becomes the weapon used in the commission of a crime , the judge was very clear about that and it was thrown out .

18. lloyd249

a friend of mine was caught with some in a wheelchair in the trunk of his car that belonged to the guy he was giving a ride to , he got 2 years

19. lloyd249

the law is very tricky when it comes to weapons in the process of a crime .in other words if it was in the car or house when another crime is being committed say smoking weed , that weapon can be seized and a person can be charged , such as what happened to me , the people upstairs were smoking/selling weed and they came with a warrant and took stuff not related to that crime , my nunchucks ,and charged me . i was never charge with the drugs ( i rented a room in the basement ) so it was deemed not using them in the process of a crime , but I never got them back . We sell knives and such any length any make any model no permits required just can't carry them around on you in a defensive manner like concealed

20. lloyd249

I just bought this one from the thrift store the other day $40

DSC00150.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted