Storage Find.Antique Old Kang Hi's Dictionary hand Written

Discussion in 'Books' started by antiquelover69, May 13, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Storage find.Very old Chinese Dictionary,"Kang Hi's Dictionary".Appear to be all hand written,book has some type of strings holding it together.On one blank page very faintly is "Kang Hi's Dictionary from Chicago library.There are two boards with silk lines at top.Book was lying between boards.I googled and found a Kangx.Are they the same,any idea the age. SAM_1686.JPG SAM_1688.JPG SAM_1692.JPG SAM_1693.JPG SAM_1695.JPG SAM_1696.JPG SAM_1724.JPG SAM_1723.JPG SAM_1722.JPG

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Kang-Hi is an older way of spelling Kangxi, Emperor of China, 1654-1722. According to Wikipedia, the dictionary was first published in 1716 during his reign, and became the standard Chinese dictionary during the 18th and 19th centuries.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_Dictionary

The book you have is not hand written, but was probably printed from carved wood blocks. The style of binding is typical of Chinese (and Japanese) books. There may or may not be an indication of the date of publication. I imagine the same wood blocks would be used until they wore out. The last page you show appears to be poorer quality paper, more typical of the late 19th-early 20th century.

The copy you have was apparently held in the collection of the Newberry Library, but then deaccessioned ("removed"). It looks like you have only volume 3 of a set.

3. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! while going through the storage I found another book,no number but from the same library.Any idea the age.Again thanks 2manybooks!

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Another volume of the dictionary, or a different book? If a different book, you could start a new thread, with photos.

antiquelover69 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. antiquelover69

I'm not sure if it's another book,I don't see a vol,but yes I will do another thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted