Strait Chinese cup?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jose Deleon, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. Jose Deleon

Is about 6in. Did little digging far as I got is a egg cup. The colors could be famille rose?

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It seems like anything with pink on it is listed as famille rose, so I don't know. I think this is too big for an egg cup. The ones I found are about half as tall.

Tanya, Jose Deleon and aaroncab like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@Shangas may have a thought or 2 about what this is and how it might be used.

6. Jose Deleon

Thank you appreciate the help I use Google lens and I cannot find nothing similar. Is beautiful

7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

All the Straits Chinese ceramics I've ever seen were exquisite. This looks too crude and simplistic to be S/C ceramics. The details are really thick and chunky, and there's a lot of white space everywhere - not something that you usually see in Peranakan wares. And the decorations would be smaller and more detailed.

8. Jose Deleon

So famille rose then? Have you ever saw this kind cup? Any idea of year make?. Thank you

9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

No, I have never seen a cup like this in relation to anything with the Straits Chinese. It's just too simplistic and crude.

THIS is Straits Chinese porcelain. It's FAR more detailed and colourful...

[​IMG]

Tanya and aaroncab like this.
  10. Jose Deleon

Understand huge big difference, that was my last thought on the straits....

So I take it what I have is just a rare? Chinese export. Simple hmmm could maybe go with those colorfull alter bowls. I'll keep looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted