Featured Strange Antique Leather Items

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ranger Rick, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Well-Known Member

Once again I call on the awesome unlimited knowledge of this forums Members! I just picked up these leather pieces at a flea market and I have no idea what they are. They are about 28 inches tall, very old leather with brass studs. They look like they belong on a horse somewhere? Horse Leather1.jpg Horse Leather2.jpg

Born2it, dude, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks to be part of a 'harness' for a horse/horses to wear....but then with the eagles on top and all that brass studding, probably more for dress in a parade rather than for work!!! AND for a pair, not a single horse........I'd say....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    dude, Woutinc, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how or where that would fit on a horse..

Born2it, dude, Woutinc and 4 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The shape looks like they might somehow fit on a collar.
    [​IMG]

Gus Tuason, dude, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag but no idea I’m afraid!

dude and Bronwen like this.
  7. Ranger Rick

Well now you can see my dilemma! It sure looks like some type of horse tack? But I can’t imagine where it would go on a horse?? If not a horse, what else could they be for?? The straps are rather long, 30+ inches, what would they wrap around?? This is truly an odd one???

dude likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In looking, I'm afraid I can't get a clear image, but thinking it looks like it attached to the regular work harness for "dress".....best I could find, and mostly thinking the 'work' horses that pulled the antique fire wagons in parades......although this man is just in his sulky....but you get the idea!! And maybe they were for this and not the antique fire wagons, who knows!

6a00e008c4b35488340105358e46da970b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Gus Tuason, dude, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

10. Ranger Rick

Thanks!! I knew someone would know. I don't see many on these around on the net? Are they still used much?

dude, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Good horse stuff commands good money usually. These look very good! Cool find.

Born2it, dude and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted