Strange Boy & Girl Figural Metal Candlesticks?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jessica789;0, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

Hoping someone may be able to help me please with these figural candlesticks. I'm not good with my metalware, and I don't really know anything about them at all.

I'm wondering what sort of age they are, what kind of metal, maker or region. Any help will be appreciated.

The boy is curious is it some sort of known character? What's that weird looking demon thing on top of his hobo stick case?

The girl is rather disfigured and in rather bad condition. She may be another character related to the boy? I don't know.

So yeah I'm pretty clueless on these, so thanks in advance for any help :)

-----
    The boy:
    1.jpg 3.jpg 20171101_121500.jpg 20171101_121750.jpg 20171101_121557.jpg 20171101_121659.jpg 20171101_121815.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
  2. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The case looks like a small drum, and the demon thing is probably a monkey that dances to his drumming.

4. Jessica789;0

Jessica789;0 Member

So maybe a travelling circus boy. I've not thought of a monkey before, I guess it looks a bit like a little monkey :)

5. Any Jewelry

Or just a little boy who made a living in one single town. Both children are wearing shoes, which is a good sign. (Just thinking of their well-being.)

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It looks like a monkey to me, too, especially in the close up photo. Very unusual candlesticks!

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

If those "candlesticks" were on my dining room table, I'd lose my dinner! That female critter was (as a dear friend used to say) "whupped with an ugly stick!"

8. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Here's a boy with what looks like a monkey. Tagged as French circa 1900 Candlestick.jpg

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I immediately saw a drum with a monkey sitting on top. Perhaps the girl sings for her supper. Is it possible she was once holding something in her right hand that was a separate piece? The rod for the drum appears made that way.

10. Any Jewelry

Another candle maybe? Like the ones she is holding in her left hand? And she is shouting out to sell them.
    Life was hard for many children in those days.:(

11. Any Jewelry

I believe most of these street children themed objects were French.

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

BAA1D459-1618-49EA-BC2B-4FE924F190F3.jpeg This is on the base of the girl. Is this just dings?

Jessica789;0 and kyratango like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They look like they have SO MANY coats of paint on them that they have lost they’re definition!!!! Then again, we don’t know what they are made of, do we????

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

INH, I saw that too, but knew you’d catch it and ask!!!!! Looks like a name to me!!!!

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You and I are always the risk takers, when it comes to asking about possibly just a scratch. ;)

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Little Match Girl?

17. Any Jewelry

[​IMG]

18. Any Jewelry

I was thinking of her, and could see this girl freezing to death.:bigtears:
    Maybe those things are too big to be matches?

This thread has me worrying about the well-being of metal street children.:(

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

figures of a Charles Dickens story ?

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

They appear to be pot metal (spelter) that were probably bronzed. At some point the wear and tear of use made them look bad and someone spray painted them.

If you wash them, some of the paint will chip off.
    You might try a gentle paint remover. One of the newer so called environmentally friendly ones that don't work well. That way you might not effect the bronze.
    The worse that will happen is that you will have to repaint them in order for them to look nice and be usable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019