Featured Strange brooch, I.D!?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Moomin, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Moomin

Moomin New Member

kyratango, Jet, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:woot:That is SO 1950s!!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is, isn't it?

Debora

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    These are the strangest ones I have found so far. Selling for around $30 and just deemed "vintage".

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Would you show a picture of the back please.

6. Jet

Jet Still learning how to dance in the rain...

Ahaha, and here I thought I was the only person who collects the odd and unusual! Can't wait to hear more about this one! Hope somebody knows!

kyratango likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The suede doesn't look original to me, and I think I see a little ear peeping out from under one of the strips.
    On this forum? Not a chance.:D

Jet and kyratango like this.
  8. antidiem

As odd as it may appear, I think the suede is original to the piece.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I wonder if there used to be fur attached to the suede strips and it just wore off over the years?

stracci, Lucille.b, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm also skeptical about the suede. It looks to me like something a child would add.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. antidiem

I agree, PatP.

To me, it looks like something children in HongKong or Japan (oriental children) would add. Child labor was alive and well back in the 1950s. I don't think an Americanized child would want to paste such small suede onto the dogs, but would rather see the metal shine, as any American costume jewelry wearer would, young or old. But occasionally children in labor will do odd-strange things to make a statement. I remember seeing similar suede glued to small porcelain kittens and puppies (10-49 cents each) when I was a child. Does no one else remember this? Later on, feathers and sequins were glued onto the small porcelain animals. I disliked this practice! ;)

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Children do the strangest things sometimes, they live in their own little world, filled with suede-covered doggies and other wondrous creatures.;)

KSW and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

Yes they do, AJ, but I think this is a child laborer suede glue job. We used to see similar dogs heads on short 'walking sticks' at Mardi Gras with small white suede glued to the heads. These ornaments came from Japan. Has no one else seen 1950-1960s porcelain animals with feathers or suede glued on? I sure have..

No reason it wasn't done on Metal jewelry too.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted