Featured Strange furniture.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by João Pereira, Aug 9, 2020.

1. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Hi there everyone,

Once again I turn to you for a few pointers.

I am bidding on the piece that you see below, unfortunately the person selling it cannot access the piece at the moment to make any other pictures but I really love it, so I am pressuring Im to let me go to the location to check the piece.

Not being an expert it looks between 100 and 200 years old, and to be honest I get a churchy feeling from it. (could not look to the sides of the drawers yet)

Anyone know what it is? What do you think?

The piece is is in the Netherlands. Thank you in advance for your knowledge!
    116890858_2749095665374348_7325985257250874682_o.jpg 117064873_2749095615374353_732580538419318883_o.jpg 117152398_2749095638707684_138792584302378862_o.jpg 117181144_2749095585374356_3802631108471902773_o.jpg 117194450_2749095722041009_164498878123353379_o.jpg

Best regards
    João

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Machine built, semi Gothic style, 20th century.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So do I. It is Dutch Gothic Revival (Neogothiek), ca 1890-1910. It is missing a carved rail on the lower part. There is also something odd going on with those two thingies sticking out at the top.

KSW, i need help, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  4. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Hi James,

Thank you for your input. Quick question, how do you see it is machine made from the pictures? hoping to learn a few tricks too.

KSW and i need help like this.
  5. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Indeed...I need to take a closer look at it on location.

KSW, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

The stamped decoration on the drawer is a giveaway.;)
    The quatrefoil decoration in the door looks handmade, there are some fretwork irregularities.

7. James Conrad

From the joinery visible on the door & case. There are zero construction details it was built by hand so that leaves only one alternative, machine-made.

8. James Conrad

The surfaces of the oak are perfectly flat which means it was planed by a machine, not riven & planed by hand.
    The stiles and rails are glued only, there are no draw bore joints and if built by hand they would be.
    The stiles are perfectly cut and are sharp & crisp which means they were power sawn, that wouldn't be the case with riven oak.
    Bla Bla Bla

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  9. Any Jewelry

Very interesting.:pompous::hilarious:

KSW, João Pereira and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The veneer is damaged in a very conspicuous place. The way those racks are stacked on the side makes me wonder, does it tilt, or something?

11. Any Jewelry

They could be from another piece of furniture, they look different.

12. Any Jewelry

I think you mean on the bottom? That is where it is missing a carved rail imo.

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Yes, that makes sense. :)

KSW, João Pereira and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think early 20th century. Looks to be a bar cabinet with those stemware racks (one is stacked on the other but belongs on the brackets to the right.) Damage would make me hesitant on this unless very cheap.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

7325985257250874682_o-edited.jpg It looks like that 'potential' stemware rack for the right side is sitting on top of the one on the left.....you can see ONE piece of the shelf still there on the right by the open door.....IMHO!!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Any Jewelry, KSW, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Could be a later addition.
    I wouldn't buy it. But maybe João is very good at restoring furniture.

17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Nope, I would not buy it either..

Fid, João Pereira and James Conrad like this.
  18. João Pereira

João Pereira Member

Hi everyone,

As usual thank you very much for your input. Learning with every picture I post here.
    Since I bought my first piece and shared it here, I am constantly looking for antique items that I like so I hope I can keep counting on your help to identify some of these! Hopefully with time and knowledge the number of pieces I share will be increasingly more interesting!

After seeing your input I can see this piece is not what I was hoping it was so I will no longer be looking to purchase it.

Once again thank you very much for your input everyone.

Best regards,
    João

19. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

It could be a little bar thing... but my first inclination was a humidor, pipe storage thing.

Leslie

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A bit dangerous for a pipe storage unit, wouldn't ya think?

Debora

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted