Strange little...toothpick holder?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by capitulation, Sep 15, 2019.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

Hi,

I picked up this odd little barrel shaped ceramic at a junk shop for $1. It is definitely old (crazing visible) and about 3.5" long. It immediately struck me as Egyptian revival or something of the ilk, and I took a fancy to it.

It has an odd mark on the bottom, that looks like a Z flipped over with a vertical line through it (see bottom image). Any help on identification (its use, makers mark, or possible age) is most appreciated.

Thank you

qE+7AEY%SaeAKe3agiC0Fw_thumb_9e0c.jpg RU3mwxOxR3CJ%JZ1hw62Xw_thumb_9e0a.jpg
    CwDfNhipS02X+ci7vHEVEA_thumb_9e0d.jpg
    8NDDuajQRuCan+M1d3v6rA_thumb_9e0f.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, crazing is not a sign of age, you can find new pieces with crazing.

UncleChuckTX and judy like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree with Marie, but an idle guess would be 1960s/70s for this piece, and just from general appearance, I'd lean towards Japanese (could easily be wrong).

The mark is very hard to see, but it's nothing that rings a bell:
    z.jpg

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  4. capitulation

Thanks for your replies..yes I should have been more specific and said the crazing did not appear contrived. I suppose I'll never solve this mystery but the mark and the head were so peculiar it made me wonder.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  5. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Does it have an opening in the mouth? Reminds me of McCoy.

6. capitulation

No opening in the mouth but thats a good clue to look for. Ive been using it for a toothpick holder. Thanks for your reply!

P1200035.jpeg

PortableTreasures likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The barrel looks to me like a section of bamboo. Bamboo or barrel, with a tiger inside seems like something from an Asian imagination. I don't see anything Egyptian about the design.

8. capitulation

yes, that sounds very reasonable that its a bamboo / tigerlike theme. I think at the time I had made this post I had Egyptian revival on the brain from other research ongoing and was "seeing" what I wanted to see. It is probably Japanese from 60's / 70's. Its in my display of similar animal/creature tchotchkes from that era.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The mark, just accentuated a bit: looks to be a Z with an angled vertical line through it.....

z-2.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  10. capitulation

It must be The Mark of Zorro!

clutteredcloset49 and Jasmina823 like this.
  11. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s an opium pillow? For a little money!

12. capitulation

Ha! You would have to have a very tiny head to recline on this - its only 3.5" long.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted