Strange mad housewife/cow combo statuette

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by quirkygirl, Aug 4, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

OK ... another mystery ... but I happily own this one ... for only $1, I really couldn't not bring this much weirdness home with me.

She's about 3½" (about 9 mm) tall and heavy - 12 ounces.
    Pretty sure it's cast of lead with some other metal layered on top - mainly because of the weight and that it is somewhat malleable, but also because I can draw a line where there is some exposed base metal.

When I first bought her, I thought she was a she-devil ... but now I think she is half cow and half angry housewife - one hoof, one foot, possibly also another hoof instead of a hand, long tail ... brandishing a rolling pin, wearing an apron and a head scarf and one house slipper (on the human/non-hoof foot)

Her tongue may be sticking out, but it's hard to tell because it looks as if she did a face-plant on it at some point in her life.

Is this a character from some story that I've never read? or could it just be some mean characterization of a woman?

Anyone recognize her?
    P1120887(1)(1).jpg P1120890(1)(1).jpg P1120878(1)(1).jpg
    exposed base metal
    P1120884(1).JPG
    wrinkled outer metal where it was bent
    P1120885(1)(1).jpg

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like my wife when she came home early and found 6 of my ducks in the house splashing in the bathtub!! Other than that I got nothing - unless one of a kind project?? It kinda looks "amateurish" as proportions are distorted all over the cast (cast?)

000_2519.jpg 000_2517.jpg

3. quirkygirl

Ha ha - I bet she got over it pretty quickly because those little ducks are ADORABLE there in the tub! On the other hand, my cow-wife is pretty rough ... nothing fine or adorable about her ... just a bunch of weird :wacky:

4. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

too cute the ducklings, mad cow disease for the statue....lol

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Obviously another opus from the same hand that brought us the (pottery) Ugly Lady Cat Ballerina Thingy:
    zzzz.jpg

6. toomanytocount

LOLOLOLOL!

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the one "hoof" foot, I would have thought lioness.

9. toomanytocount

I'm still laughing....

KingofThings, tyeldom3 and quirkygirl like this.
  10. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

I can vaguely recall my Norwegian Great-Grandmother (who came here from Norway in the late 19th century) telling a story about similar creatures. They were 'girls with cows tails, which they could hide under their skirts so you couldn't tell. I guess a bonnet could have covered the ears and horns.
    I believe they were blamed for mischief or worse, (probably when no one else would own up to it.) They also might do something nice for you, like doing the dishes. GGM said they lived under the cellar stairs. (Threatening to put kids in the cellar for punishment may have been involved.)
    I have no real knowledge, just recalling.

11. quirkygirl

Thanks @Steersman ! I appreciate the new direction to explore ... I foresee hours of fresh new Googling in my future :) Even if my little "lady" isn't found there, I'm sure I'll learn something new!

12. toomanytocount

That is what was in the back of my mind, an obscure folktale or fable character, we are not as familiar with as let's say, Red Riding Hood or The Crow and The Fox.
    Glad somebody recalled their family stories. Great to have some understanding. :)

13. quirkygirl

Well, taking that info from Steersman, I found a creature called a huldra ... she does have a tail, but she's supposed to be young and attractive - even the strongest beer-goggles wouldn't make my little lady young and attractive - so I searched onward where I found something close ... the grýla ... who is a type of Icelandic troll who comes into villages before Christmas to steal misbehaving children - to boil and eat! Here are some photos I've found
    [​IMG](from http://icelandchronicles.com)
    [​IMG] (from pinterest)
    [​IMG] another illustration with only one hoof from webpage http://www.julli.is/jol/gryla.htm

Still not saying that my figure depicts this grýla creature ... but she's sure close! The rolling pin has me confused, though.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

KingofThings and quirkygirl like this.
  15. quirkygirl

Naturally, that's as good reason as any ... she probably got tired of only using them for soup.