Strange metal man - chef? Purpose?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Apologies if I posted one of these a long time ago. I thought I only had one and now I found this. I sold the other one on Ebay maybe ten years ago before I quit selling there. I searched everywhere and someone told me it was a metal figure from a carnival shooting gallery and that's what I sold it as. Much later someone came along and said, no, it was a holder for an oven thermometer used by bakers. I IMG_6937.jpg IMG_6934.jpg IMG_6935.jpg can't believe I found a second one and still don't know what the heck it is.

Any help appreciated.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I THINK it's an EARLY Poppin' Fresh Dough Boy!!!! But other than that, dunno!!!

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Interesting little man. Since he looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy - you would think some sort of baking item
    I don't know about thermometer. Although he could stand on the rack. The holes don't look consistent for holding a round thermometer like what we are used to using.

My father in law made an oven rack puller where you slipped the wire into the slot to pull the rack out rather than using a potholder.

upload_2020-6-7_8-28-22.png

4. Aquitaine

HMMMMM.....the bottom of him DOES look line a current oven thermometer stand... Bev, how tall is he???

5. clutteredcloset49

Yes, but if you attach the thermometer using those holes, it will cover his face. Defeats the purpose of using a cute little dough boy.

6. clutteredcloset49

Aqui - have you had your coffee?:)
    There is a ruler in the picture.

7. Aquitaine

HAHAHA!!! YEAH, but only 1 cup!!!! 8"....WOW, that's tall....guessing probably NOT for the oven then!!! I'll ask DH....he's WAAAAY older than me....4 1/2 yrs!!!!!

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is cute as a button. At first I thought it had to do with thermometer too.
    Hope someone knows.

9. Aquitaine

@Bev aka thelmasstuff! They don't have an email address, but they DO have a phone number and a regular SNAIL MAIL address.....you can give them (THEM being Pillsbury Co.!) a shout-out with a couple of images! IF you choose to!! Lord only knows if you'll hear from them!! But here it is: (And Good Luck if you do!!!)
    You know we'd LOVE to know if you DO hear from them!!!!

Got a question, compliment or complaint for our company or our products? We'd love to hear from you.

By Phone:

1- 800-767-4466

By Mail:

Hometown Food Company
    500 W. Madison Street
    Chicago, IL 60661
    M-F , 8AM - 5PM ET

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

LauraGarnet02 and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

So I was curious what he looked like upside down.
    Suppose the thermometer could have gone where the face would be.
    This way he would have hung from the rack and not sat on it.
    But what are all the holes for?
    And when I went to draw the top two lines, you can see a faint outline of a circle at the top. The bottom line is a suggestion of where the therm might have stopped.
    I'm not saying this is the correct way, I'm just playing with the picture.
    upload_2020-6-7_10-25-31.png

12. Aquitaine

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You're gonna love this....toldja DH was OLDER than me!!!! HIS HIGHLY OFFICIAL response was: "IT'S A FOOTBALL OFFICIAL AND HE'S SIGNALLING A 'TOUCHDOWN'".......I ain't got nuttin' else to say.....

Except, @clutteredcloset49 may have a MUCH MORE VALID answer!!!:p:p:D:D:D:hilarious::hilarious:

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hm, the above is for the Pillsbury Baking website (https://www.pillsburybaking.com/), and that might be the best, but...
    The Pillsbury Company also has a separate website at https://www.pillsbury.com/ The Contact link on that site refers correspondence to General Mills, the parent company: https://contactus.generalmills.com/

My guess is that since Pillsbury is a large company that is owned by even a larger corporation, they might have a corporate archivist who could do the historical research necessary to figure out what this is.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found some information about the General Mills corporate archives. It came from the following page https://www2.archivists.org/groups/...-archives-in-the-united-states-and-canada-g-h:

General Mills, Inc.

Minneapolis, MN

E-Mail: Archives.Department@genmills.com

Type of Business: Food industry

Hours of Service: 9am-4pm

Conditions of Access: Closed to the public

Holdings: 1866-present

Total Volume: 3,000 cubic feet

Description: The General Mills Corporate Archives serves as a secure repository for historically significant, non-current records documenting the founding, development, organization, management and achievements of General Mills, the Washburn Crosby Company, the Pillsbury Company, and their subsidiaries( collectively known as GMI).

Updated February 7, 2019

15. Aquitaine

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe they multiply when exposed to heat?:confused:

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So that’s 4, all of which have lost a thermometer, maybe something else? Hmmmm :)

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

shouldn't he should have a scarf on if he was the Pillsbury doughboy?

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I don't think he is the doughboy BWDIK. I looked at it so long it started to look like a rabbit with 2 ears sticking up.

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I called him a rabbit man in my original description! I am so bummed out that I sold the other one not knowing I had the mate. This is what happens. My parents had a second hand store and when my Dad had a stroke, they had to move down here with me. They packed up the house and store in a hurry so everything is jumbled together. I found one of a set of handmade copper bookends of the Old Man of the Mountains a few years ago and gave it to my son. Imagine my surprise last week when delving into another box I found the mate! He's very happy I didn't get rid of the first one as I had intended.