Featured Strange Pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Betty Boop, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2175.jpg IMG_2176.jpg IMG_2177.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2174.jpg Hi all, has anyone seen something like this before and/or know anything about it? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2021
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what size
    where did it come from
    how long u had it

photo's are good.....but you leave out information that could allow us to help you....

judy likes this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

thanks! It's 7" tall and I found it today at the church thrift store... not sure how helpful that info is actually lol

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Knowledge is power........;)

judy likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Calling @Ce BCA
    I've been waiting all day for someone else to chime in on this, but since no one more knowledgeable than I am has done so yet, I'm going to offer some observations and speculations.

The marks carved into the outside of the vase look like they might be some Oriental language like Chinese or Japanese or Korean or...? Whoever made it must have spent a very long time doing all that incised carving work.

The shape reminds me of ancient bronze Chinese tripod ceremonial vessels that I've seen online.

The red glaze on the inside might be what you'd call oxblood or pigeon's blood.

I think tricorn for the top of the vase and tripod for the bottom of the vase are good keywords.

The maker's mark on the bottom might be the initials CW or an oriental symbol that I can't read.

6. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry not to be able to attribute you pot to a maker but it appears to be based upon a very early form of Chinese cooking vessel called a li.

If you Google:
    Chinese cooking li vessel
    You'll see examples of the form.

Betty Boop, verybrad and judy like this.
  7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

thank you so much for the responses and very helpful info on this. Not what I expected!

8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

No Chinese, Japanese or Korean writting there that I can see, just decorative motives, albeit maybe inspired by a Chinese vessel. I'd say this is a studio piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted