Featured Strange Rotating Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Shwikman, May 13, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

One side is bloodstone I think(thanks @Hollyblue for identification of another piece earlier). The other side looks like agate or maybe something synthetic, although it “seems” hard like stone. It makes me wonder if it was intended to be carved but I’m thinking one would want to carve a stone before setting it? I concocted a crazy theory of betrayal, wrong doing and excommunication leading to someone’s cameo getting hastily removed. Not sure there(haha) but it sure got worn for a long time judging from the wear.
    4B1DB849-14B6-4DEF-92A7-D452D13EC7F2.jpeg 505FCB5B-C58D-4E2E-9D08-5AFEE98F2321.jpeg 0BBF3A92-9D73-4BB1-B2E0-881ABD747C53.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Xristina and Aquitaine like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Love your imagination. Full disclosure, I'm not a jewelry guy, but my guess would be the lady would simply flip it 180 depending on her mood and/or to have some contrast between the stone and the outfit she was wearing.

I'm sure the jewelry folks will be around shortly and set us both straight.

Bronwen, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like a fob seal that was never engraved. Bloodstone (heliotrope) & carnelian.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, Boddah, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  5. Shwikman

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. Shwikman

Great! Thank You so much.
    I found the watch and chain together. I suppose it’s a possibility the fob went with since they were in the same house....either way, I think I’ll keep em together from now on.

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

@Shwikman
    I'm sorry, I've been a little off today.

Where you have the fob hanging is where the watch should hang.
    That chain isn't set up for the fob.

This is the proper way to hang a fob and watch.
    upload_2019-5-13_22-12-25.png

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

There may have been another small chain here if there was ever a fob on this chain.

upload_2019-5-13_22-16-9.png

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  10. Shwikman

Makes perfect sense.

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's absolutely typical of a 19th C double sided watch fob.

Shwikman, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. The owner just hadn't had it engraved yet. The reason is another one for your imagination, Shwikman.;)

Shwikman, Bronwen, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Because seals fall into my area of interest, I see a lot of them & would guess about half of those floating around on the market were never engraved. (Also guessing ones that were are a little more likely to stay in private hands as family heirlooms.) My imagination has people giving them when they didn't know what else to give a man & on into a time when men were still wearing pocket watches with chains but sealing wax had fallen into disuse.

Any Jewelry, Shwikman and sabre123 like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Bloodstone Fob Intaglio (640x639).jpg
    Recent find, bloodstone itaglio watch fob that was converted into a womans' pendant.

15. Shwikman

That seems so likely! I could see wax seals falling obsolete fairly immediately but no way were stubborn men going to toss out or hang-up their pocket watches without so easily.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Men's fashion seems to march steadily away from jewellery. Cravat pins, watch fobs, cufflinks, signet rings... With ties being required in the work place less & less, the opportunities to dude up are really disappearing.

I have a massive ring that was made over from a desk seal with a French bloodstone intaglio that must have belonged to someone in sympathy with the Abolitionist movement:

Voila_Un_Frere.jpg

17. Shwikman

That is absolutely stunning...and unbelievably important! I appreciate you sharing it!

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

It's an interesting piece. When I got it I showed it to a French friend who said he was surprised because the French had not been particularly concerned with the issue. I don't know if someone had this made to their own design. It is not quite the seal of the Société des Amis des Noires:

1788_Sceau_de_la_Societe_des_Amis_des_Noirs_Gravure.jpg

Both derive from the Wedgwood:

WedgwoodJasperwareAbolitionist.jpg

Jivvy and Shwikman like this.
  19. Shwikman

Perhaps there was a Creole connection? Haiti and maybe even Jamaica(IIRC) also had a contingency of French speakers so maybe it’s not all Continental in its inception?

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Can't rule it out, but think you would have been risking your life to have such a thing in colonial Haiti. No longer remember whether seller was in US, UK or Europe.

Should mention the photo I showed was lightened to bring up contrast. While the green is not dark enough to look black, it is more of a forest green.

Voila Un Frere Intaglio.jpg

Jivvy, aaroncab and Shwikman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted