Strange Thai(?) Brass Handled Knifey ish thing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Sep 10, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think this was called a Thai dagger when I bought it. Not really sure what it is? Could be Thai. I suppose it could be a page turner. It’s not for cutting or stabbing it doesn’t seem. Unless a ceremonial piece not meant for use but meant to represent a dagger. Suppose it could have been a real dagger, the blade tip broke and then someone added the decorative bit to the end? The handles metal seems better done than that of the “blade” tip, so that’s a possibility maybe. Has anyone seen one like it? Apologies for atrocious photos. Pure impatience there. 5E670D45-FC2D-4C1A-A198-64DDA5288B6A.jpeg D639953D-C33A-4BA6-9BAC-04C0F306CDDE.jpeg 4D687D56-2EDD-4512-B8FA-96DDFCED82EE.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

fantasy dagger at best.......
    reminds me of a Tibet Khadga

[​IMG]

J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is simply a different shaped khadga from the straight ones, but just as important as a Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhist symbol.
    The handle is shaped like a Vajra, symbol of the way to reach wisdom, and symbol of Vajrayana Buddhism. The blade is held by a Makara, a protective mythical animal.

The khadga is the flaming sword of the Bodhisattva* Manjushri. Not a physical sword, but a spiritual sword that symbolizes the way transcendent wisdom cuts through the veil of delusions and ignorance.
    The ones both you and komo posted are representations of that spiritual sword, so neither are actual swords.
    Most of these are Himalayan, some Indian. As far as I'm aware none are Thai. Thailand is mainly Theravada Buddhist.

* A Bodhisattva is a Buddha aspect, so one of the qualities of the Buddha.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    kyratango, J Dagger, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  4. J Dagger

Ooh you kinda have to take a shared best answer for this. Komokwa first with the ID but AJ second with the explanation. Thnx guys.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. J Dagger

Buddhism is so immensely interesting. It’s also very hard at least for me to understand all the history and terminology. I tried in college pretty hard. Granted I was taking an eastern philosophy class and simultaneously studying Taoism and Hinduism. I had a hard time remembering all the names, stories, terms, etc.. Both are really beautiful religions with beautiful legend writing attached to them though. The Bhagavad Gita was the most beautiful thing I ever read.

A relatively major auction house ID’d it as Thai. It’s interesting how many mistakes they make. I catch a bunch, imagine how many I don’t catch! I’m positive you are both correct.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

I've been wanting to catch someone for a long time.....I'm sure AJ won't mind if I grab a BA here......
    but it's up to you !!:shame::shame:......;)

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  7. J Dagger

I gotcha. AJ will get many more of mine I’m sure. I often forget to give them. My B when that happens.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

no problem.......yet !
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It is virtually impossible, because there are so many regional differences. Himalayan Buddhism is one of my special interests, maybe because it has such a Shamanic influence. It is also related to the old Buddhism of Indonesia, which still has influence on local traditional spirituality.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Not at all dear komo.:kiss:
    Although you said fantasy dagger. (Which reminded you of a Tibet khadga.):playful:

For years I had no Best Answers at all, but I have one now.:D A bit strange considering my input over the years, but there you are. People being kind enough to say thank you means much more to me.:happy:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
  11. komokwa

indeed , thank you's are the best !

Most members do not know how or when to use the Best Answer icon , as evidence of it's rare and sporadic use to date.

Of the very few registered , several have been erroneously granted.

But it's fun to see the post go green !!!!!
    @J Dagger ....;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

True, and mostly by newbies who are happy about the first reply.
    Is it green yet? I don't see it. Or are you reminding J?;)

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

14. komokwa

you deserve it more than I do............:shame::shame:..;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:stop: No, it's all yours.:happy:
    (Not that it is up to me to decide.:oops:)

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Best Answer can only be registered by the OP of the thread in which the honor was granted. Up to J Dagger to decide here. ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. komokwa

yes.....an honour !

18. J Dagger

I gave it to komokwa, does it not show up? Aj I’m pretty sure you’ve given me the the “best” answer on more than a couple things. Apologies if I’ve forgotten to acknowledge it formally. I often forget about the option.

Draft saved Draft deleted