Strange Tool - to tie fishing flies?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I posted this before and someone thought it was to tie fishing flies. I can't find an image of one like this so I'm not sure.

IMG_4393.JPG IMG_4394.JPG

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I would think that if it was for holding thread spools for tying flies it should be able to easily interchange different colored thread spools - does that blue spool have a way to come off easily?

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Found this - it's a cable/rope/wire roller device.
    [​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looking at the small size and very light construction I'm guessing your device was used for home yarn-spinning or to guide string for something. The item shown has a body about 9" long without screw, and maybe 2" wide, and the axle might be 1/16" dia., good enough for string, yarn, possibly twine, that's all.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I guess my question would be - how much string could you wind on this and why would you be winding string?? I suppose for yarn, but it still wouldn't hold that much. You'd have to be winding a lot in order to need an actual tool to do it.

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You don't wind up anything on an hourglass-profile roller like that, it is to keep a single strand near center of roller. It acts as a guide Pulley only among other system components.

komokwa and Rayo56 like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Ah. So it's incomplete. It was in with my parents stuff from their second hand store Yes, many years after they passed to their Reward, I'm still opening boxes. I found this several years ago and put it back in a box with other unknowns.

8. CuriousCat

CuriousCat New Member

Not for fishing flies, maybe part of a curtain assembly of some sort, obviously it screws/clamps onto something, like square metal frame, but doesn't hold much weight, there's no pad on the end of the screwy thingy, made to roll a small rope or string, just a guest/newby guess :)

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We ought to have a pinned thread for all the unknown, unidentified mystery objects.

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I looks more like the spindle/roller rested on a line/rope to glide/roll back and forth - what was attached to/hung from the bottom is beyond my imagination......../............/.......but for some reason clothes pegs come to mind............/................./

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

To me, it looks more like the table clamp pulleys we used for experiments in 7th grade science class!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The local art center where I show my work has lately been showing a lot of 3D "found object" art. I'm not enamored of it, but maybe I should make some sort of art project out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted