Featured Strange, weird tea pot.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Annpan, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Hi all, I have no idea at all about this tea pot although I do love it. It has the feel of a studio piece and has a strange mark underneath. It is in earthenware. It is 11" tall. Hope you can help please tell me I am going to become a millionaire on its sale lol x tea pot use.jpg 19620083_1500933813261771_2007389304_o.jpg t pot.jpg handle.jpg base.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

komokwa, SBSVC, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Annpan

Thats good enough for me!!!!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is weird, but very well made. This was a true artist.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Punch pot shape, majolica glaze. Might be studio, but it also has the look of some German stuff - so perhaps the potter was emulating.

KingofThings and Annpan like this.
  7. Annpan

It does have the look of a punch pot but has the drainer holes over the opening to the spout so I think it must be a tea pot. I have had this for around 15 years and never found the mark so you are right it may well be German or Continental. x

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had some German embossed majolica with that colour and look to it. There's a couple of decent Facebook groups for studio wares, migt be worth a look.

Annpan and KingofThings like this.
  9. Annpan

Thank you I will check it out. x

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Can you do a close-up of the mark just above the foot? There was a US company called Griffin, Smith, and Hill that did majolica. I'm wondering if it's one of their marks. The glaze reminds me of some of their pieces. Most of the American companies that did majolica tended towards a simpler color palette. They didn't use the bright colors that the Europeans did.
    Don

Annpan likes this.
  11. Annpan

Hi Don, I will post a close up tomorrow morning. Thank you for looking

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be thinking German too; it's ...unusual. That's it. Unusual.

Annpan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted