Street Scene Painting Signed Roberts

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 23, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2032.JPG IMG_2033.JPG Factory type?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree.
    greg

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought so at first glance,but the more I look I think maybe better than factory. In fact,I very much like it. I wonder if thats New York ? Its got an impressionist feel to it.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be autograph. That looks like brushwork rather than knife work (which seems to be the common factory technique). I also think it unusual that you can see a preparatory sketch from behind. Wouldn't expect that on a factory painting.

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the photo, the sketch of the scene on the back looks like pencil. Is it really ink? Trying to figure out if it would have bled through to the other side to act as a cartoon for the painting. Can you tell whether the lines on the back match up with their counterparts on the front? The human figures have the same outline in both versions while upper stories of the buildings on the painting's left, the crowd in the background & the tree had to be completed without this aid. The tree seems to be indicated by a squiggle in the drawing. I see no false steps on the back, which suggests to me that there was a detailed drawing of the scene where mistakes could be fixed & revisions made, from which the finalized version was transferred in outline to the back of the canvas.

All in all, my impression is that the painting was made the hard way. The stapling of the canvas to the stretcher surely was not done by machine? It does not 'feel' like old New York to me, but...? The inclusion of the copyright mark after the signature says it's not very old.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

There is a sticker on the back " Art Finds International". From the little info that I can find it appears to be
    "retail sales of decorating products such as art works and frames by means of home parties".
    So I doubt they sold high end art.
    As to the age, I also think not old, maybe vintage. But the copyright symbol is not that new on the scene.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The symbol is not new, but making sure to add it to your signature on a painting this way speaks of the piratical age we live in. A potter I knew who became quite successful with her distinctive lines of table ware did not sign or indicate copyright status until Chinese knockoffs began to appear.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It might be cruise art. I'm seeing more of it in resale. My cousin and her husband went on numerous cruises and bought art. Now they've passed away, their daughter got rid of everything and it's probably turning up in thrifts and galleries that resell art.
    art-auctions

Draft saved Draft deleted