Featured Strong Demand For Vintage School Desks, Globes, Chalkboards, & Etc. Due To Pandemic?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Saw a cool display at a local antique mall a few weeks ago of vintage/antique school desks, globes, chalkboards, and other school related collectables. One of the workers said that they got a short segment on one of the local news channels and there was a stampede of buyers looking for items for their children that are doing digital learning.

I guess vintage/antique items in this category have been selling well too according to several attendees at a local auction that resell on the side.

Your Thoughts?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my kid's a teacher , not a student.......and the stuff they are throwing at her.......is un-fricken believable !

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

What kind of stuff are they throwing at her as a teacher? :inpain:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

last minute changes to curriculum . on line...off line, more supplies, less supplies, more PPE, less PPE.....morning students, afternoon students, some students, no students, teachers being let go, teachers being called back, budgets, grants, no money , some money.......
    Cat on a hot tin Roof ............................:eek:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Makes sense Joe that parents helping their kids need at home tools.
    Flash cards are usually a decent seller if they are in good condition.

6. antidiem

LOL : THANK HER FOR HER SERVICE, PLEASE!! :cat::joyful::kiss:

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  7. antidiem

It a shame what teachers must endure. I taught a little bit long ago.

gauntlettgems and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Not sure about school related stuff. However it’s move in season for those that will be moving in and a bunch of little furniture/lighting items I’ve had listed locally forever have finally sold. Kinda wish I had stocked up but didn’t think ahead.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  9. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I've had two requests for a desk in the last two days

10. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

At my Mom's house , there is an oak Students chair / desk, more of a high school age , and I bought it for her one year as a gift .... the interesting thing is when I was cleaning / oiling it up, it is stamped that it was manufactured at San Quentin Prison..... would have been better if it had been Alcatraz ( Look teacher, Al Capone made my desk!) but still interesting. Had it actually been made by Capone that would have really been a coincidence, as my Mom was born and lived the first 10 years of her life on the South side of Chicago..... and seeing as they always had food on the table and my Grandfather always had a job driving a delivery truck, it would seem Al took care of the neighborhood somewhat .....

SBSVC and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

I could kick myself for not buying a vintage book that was about home schooling at a sale.
    And this was during the pandemic so I have no excuses to make other than my stupid pills kicked in.

12. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I had to set up a home office and the desks and file cabinets at the local furniture store were on back order. I did give the local antique furniture stores a try but they were picked over and I didn’t find any that were good.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this desk once, but it's long gone:
    Childs Desk-a.jpg

ChildsDesk-b.jpg

bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just computer problems. No biggie. Thanks for noticing.

Bakersgma and bercrystal like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

We were worried about you MOS.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted