Featured Stuck in Thomas Kinkade hell!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hillaryv, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

Last year my grandparents passed and have left us with quite a hefty Thomas Kinkade collection, much to the chagrin of my Aunt whose home they're currently decorating the walls of.

I am at a complete loss as to where to sell them as in all honesty, eBay seems to be more hassle than it may be worth and the interest in Kinkades have all but dropped. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Hillary

judy, KingofThings and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have no suggestions, but you and your Aunt have my sincerest sympathies, most importantly for your loss, but also for getting stuck with all that "art."

3. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

Thank you for your condolences! I just hope I can find an avenue to sell these pieces. They're well maintained and "pretty" but not any of our family's taste!

Aquitaine, judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Hillary,
    I am not the one to answer as I detest Kinkade. He did not do but 1% of the work. His "art works" were the product of many talented people but he took control and many believe he did the art work. As far as I'm concerned they should all go on a bonfire. I am not telling you this to belittle your grandparents, they were probably wonderful people. I am just telling you this so you do not worry that you are destroying your grandparents delight. My own Gram who I still adore though she is gone loved Limburger Cheese and onion sandwiches. I detest them to death, just because they were her favorites does not make them mine. I think your aunt and you should donate them to a good cause that you believe in. That way you will might make a few bucks and rid yourselves of needless worry.
    greg

5. Bakersgma

Have you thought about Craigslist?

judy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Donation was my first thought, but she did say she wanted to sell them.

KingofThings and Hillaryv like this.
  7. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

I definitely see your POV but we are hoping to make something from this lot. I have another uncle who thinks we'll get the appraisal price and I had to laugh at his naivety. If we can get a couple hundred for each it'd be great, pocket cash for one family and wedding pocket cash for me. So, here's hoping someone gets in touch with interest in them. From all I've seen good old Tom ruined his reputation so his pieces are probably worth even less now.

8. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

I'm thinking more about it now, I just have no idea where to post in hopes of finding the right age-range, ie: more grandparents to pawn them off to.

9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Are you in or near a larger city?
    Find a local auction house, you might be surprised at what some of these still bring in, even though they have dropped in value and interest, there are still people buying them.

Lucille.b, SeaGoat, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Hillary,
    I am soooooo sorry that I sounded so negative in my first post. I just had a huge battle royal with a family member and I seemed to take it out on you. I am really sorry that I sounded so mean. I am sure that other people on this site will be shocked and not recognise the hostility I landed on you. I do apologize, I just did not think things out before I wrote what I did.
    greg

11. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

Totally no worries at all!

Trust me, I get you on the family battle royal fronts and it's the internet, stuff happens. You're good, honest. But thank you for the apology as well. :)

12. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

I sort of am, I'll definitely take a look into it! Thank you!

KingofThings likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Right now there are almost 11,000 TK prints for sale on ebay. Looking at sold listings, I find about 740 sold. This should give you some idea of how sellable they are. Some do bring decent money. The vast majority do not. Use ebay sales to judge value but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Just because an image is the same, doesn't mean it is the same print. Good luck in your endeavors.

judy, KingofThings and Hillaryv like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and .... good luck.(sigh) One of my Rules, the one at the top, about antiques etc is "collectibles aren't". Anything made to be collected generally drops in value in short order, as often as not as soon as you carry it out of the store. Those paintings and prints did the same thing, and after his death is all pretty well cratered.

VintageKaren, SeaGoat, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. Hillaryv

Hillaryv New Member

Yeahhh. . . I wish someone would've told my grandma that

KingofThings likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm a dedicated jewelry hoarder, but I don't have any illusions about the pieces I've made/remade ever being worth much. If I"m lucky they're worth what I have in the beads. The sterling is worth melt, as often as not. My late dad bought those uncirculated coin sets from the Mint when I was a kid, figuring they'd be worth more than he paid eventually. Guess again, but at least they're not on a wall somewhere.

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Donate them. The tax write off is more than they are worth,unfortunately. Theres a stack of them at a thrift I go to.

judy likes this.
  18. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Try a few at reputable auction and see how they do.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  19. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

No, I won't tell you where my mother in law lives. I just won't , no point in asking. I'm already dreading these we are already destined to receive.

Any chance a senior center has display space on its walls, where yo could post with prices? It might take awhile to sell them, but that is your market.

Good luck.

20. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

In my experience, go to the most rural, ho dunk auction house you can find to sell them. Preferably somewhere with dial up internet.

judy, Hillaryv and anundverkaufen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted