Featured Stuck stopper - plus info?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rayo56, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

This stopper is stuck - I can't budge it but don't want to apply full strength and crack the neck. Anybody have a fool proof (I'll need it :)) way to un-stick a stuck stopper?
    Plus the design isn't on the surface, it is below it like it's sandwiched between the inside and outside.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
    Mark 000_9512.jpg 000_9513.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Tried WD-40 yet? Penetrating oil? Apply a bit around the stopper and let sit 24 hours. Then try it.

Rayo56 likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Rayo, it looks to me as if that's not the right stopper for that cruet, anyway!

Rayo56 and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& that's why it's stuck....!

Rayo56, dgbjwc and SBSVC like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that, it looks like a cruet for olive oil but it was from my Mom's cabinet - AND YES , she had 99% junk, but yet she told me everything was GOLD!! I feel so sorry telling her that most of her possessions were just crap!!
    She's in denial - everything to her would make me a millionaire but in reality I have to spend most of my savings getting junk dealers to haul it away!!:(

9. komokwa

:(

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It does not look to me like a cruet at all, unless they're making them with 3 spouts.

11. komokwa

upload_2018-4-23_1-32-15.jpeg upload_2018-4-23_1-32-45.jpeg upload_2018-4-23_1-33-27.jpeg upload_2018-4-23_1-34-1.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-23_1-36-41.jpeg upload_2018-4-23_1-37-11.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-23_1-38-34.jpeg

well, y'know.....stranger things have happened............:playful::watching::watching::watching:;)

Rayo56 likes this.
  12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ah, success. Put some Kroil around it and let is soak overnight. Came right out. And dish detergent took away the Kroil smell.

upload_2018-4-23_12-48-52.png

pearlsnblume, dgbjwc, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. komokwa

That's one Creepy oil !!! YAY !!!

pearlsnblume, dgbjwc and Rayo56 like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I grabbed that image for future reference, thank you!!!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The pattern on the cruet is called Inverted Thumbprint. I have seen the pattern frequently but don't know who made it. Looks kind of Fentonie to me.

16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

agree that the stopper doesn't look to fit properly in that first image; these often have faceted stoppers.

the crimping and applied handle seem consistent with those attributed to Hobbs, Brockunier & Co. 'Polka Dot' (AKA: Inverted Thumbprint)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Glad Davey linked my question about this from an old post. The takeaway: Be sure you have a towel under the piece when trying this stuff. Sounds like you managed okay Rayo. :happy:

dgbjwc and Pat P like this.
  18. judy1961

judy1961 New Member

I had one stuck i took it and turned it up side down in oil every day i took it out and wiggled it and put it back i keep on doing it every day for about 2 weeks and one day i did it and it came loose not sure it can take you that long but mine was really stuck
    Good luck!

19. komokwa

post #12 . ,,, from April 2018..
    Ah, success. Put some Kroil around it and let is soak overnight. Came right out.;)

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  20. komokwa

it pays to read the whole thread to see if the issue had been resolved...:happy::happy:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted