Studio Pottery Covered Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Josh, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Studio pottery covered dish, measures 8" wide and is 5 1/2" tall, including the lid. Was wondering if anyone might know the potter or what the symbols on the lid mean. Thanks

DSCF3966 - Copy.JPG DSCF3967 - Copy.JPG DSCF3968 - Copy.JPG DSCF3971 - Copy.JPG DSCF3972 - Copy.JPG

i need help and judy like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Might the name be Griffin?

Lva483, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

possibly

judy likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Top picture of lid: if that isn't Josephine Baker!!

i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  5. Sam Wainford

Sam Wainford Member

Since I have a BFA in Ceramics from Rhode Island School of Design and have a good bit of experience in the pottery world, I'll take a stab at this one.

It looks like Griffin to me too. I googled 'Griffin pottery' and came up with two possibilities in the USA. A. Griffin Pottery in NC and George Griffin Pottery in Sopchoppy, FL. Both use similar styles and glazes in their studios.

According to the A. Griffin Pottery facebook page: "The studio was opened in 2002 by Allen Griffin. Newly retired from teaching art at Ashbrook High School in Gastonia, Allen gradually began to take on private students interested in learning about pottery." Susan Jones studied under him and purchased the studio from his family after his death in 2016. If you scroll down on her Susan Jones' website, you can see the similarity in the glazes and styles.

The George Griffin Pottery looks even more like a match to me. Others have posted photos on a facebook page and there's a photo of his signature on a pot bottom. He signed it "George" here, but the G is exactly the same as your piece, silverthwait, as is the slip-trailed calligraphy style on the small pieces. The last photo on the page shows the top of a casserole lid with a blueish handle twisted the same way as yours. Look at the very bottom of the picture.

I've attached both George Griffin pictures below. I'm sure you could call the posted phone number (850-962-9311) or perhaps post your query with photo to the facebook page. But it doesn't look like he maintains that facebook page. He probably has his hands in the mud instead. :)

Both studios have other potters working with other style variations. A potter's style is like a signature. In my opinion, the G in the signature, the slip trailed calligraphy and the twisted handle are a good bet that George Griffin is your potter.

George Griffin Pottery FL Signature.jpg George Griffin Pottery FL.jpg

6. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the help.

7. pthowe13

pthowe13 New Member

This is definitely from George Griffin Pottery in Sopchoppy Florida. I have been to his studio/shop many times and have many of his pieces including 2 table lamps. Visiting his studio in this small town on the Panhandle is truly an experience. He is so talented, friendly and interesting. His pieces are lovely and unique.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  8. pthowe13

pthowe13 New Member

The symbols are his own from what he calls “the Great White Canvas within me.” They are his personal translations of some of the universal qualities that we value and cherish. He has a chart in his studio explaining them.

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted