Featured Stumped by this bracelet.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Pattywithay, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

This large sterling and ? Bracelet is only marked 925. I see no bubbles or other indications it is glass. I bought it in a consignment store in the US. Any thoughts as to age, possible maker and origin appreciated.

Sorry about the arm. I wanted to show how big it is.
    7A7975FC-A426-4925-A109-C88EE3367B45.jpeg 40EF6464-999D-425C-AF8E-A69C5459B173.jpeg B8BDA8B6-AB0E-4A2B-8788-DFB6A5EC656C.jpeg E64622D7-1196-4700-90CE-F676DFCBB1E2.jpeg 84D40750-6F53-4D04-9AD1-46C5F47863C2.jpeg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Rock crystal?

pearlsnblume, Pattywithay and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Quite the statement bracelet. The absence of bubbles/inclusions does not rule out glass. We're better at making glass than we once were. When you hold it in sunlight, does it create rainbows? I suppose it could be rock crystal, but you're more likely to see inclusions like internal fractures in that than in modern glass. I'm thinking it could be lead crystal, or it may be less exalted glass.

4. Pattywithay

Just took it outside. It does cause rainbow colored reflections. How interesting!

pearlsnblume, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

If it's also quite heavy for its size, I would have to say lead crystal.

Roaring20s, pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Which means it likely is or isn’t glass?

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Pattywithay

Yes, it weighs over 75 grams. Wow. Never really thought about lead crystal as I think of it in older pieces.

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Bronwen

Trying to distinguish between lead crystal & ordinary glass. Crystal that is faceted like this is like a collection of little prisms & will refract the light.

KSW, pearlsnblume and Pattywithay like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

So will glass sans lead though. It's optical physics. Lead crystal is heavier, and "whiter", has far higher clarity. Without sticking a refractometer on it, tricky to tell if it's not in the hand.

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I can tell you that knowing nothing about the maker, I would have purchased that in a heartbeat. It is a fine looking bracelet with those open backs, and seems to have nice quality.

Some contemporary modern maker that doesn't sign pieces would be my guess. I really like it.

Any Jewelry, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  11. Lucille.b

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd give that house room any old time. No idea whodunnit though, or where. A cheap diamond tester ought to be able to tell you what those stones aren't. Most of them have a reading for glass.

Pattywithay, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  14. Bronwen

@Pattywithay When closed, this would not be quite circular. Do the panels that come before the clasp help keep it from rolling on the wrist?

KSW likes this.
  15. Pattywithay

Thanks @Lucille.b. It's quality and size is what attracted me immediately. Shame the artist didn't take credit by signing it.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  16. Pattywithay

They do seem to keep it in place. It's a little large for my wrist and still doesn't spin around.

17. Pattywithay

18. Pattywithay

Good point. I bought it assuming it was glass but the more I looked at it, the "stones" seemed better than that in clarity and weight which made me rethink it.

19. Pattywithay

My tester is realllly cheap but I'll see what it says and report back.

20. Lucille.b

That's why I said same style piece. Even with the different closure was thinking it almost had to be the same manufacture unless several companies made these. At least a starting point and we now know it isn't a one of a kind item.

Patty's has 7 of the stones, this other one 11. Also in the photo of the Ebay one the stones more yellow-ish, but could be the photo.

Let us know what the tester says!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted