Stunning & quite old Jesus engraving

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Hunter S., Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Beautiful and old Jesus engraving that has a stamp on the back that says: "International Chalcographical Society - Société Internationale Chalcographique - Internationale Chalkographische Gesellschaft - 1888 No9" and it also has a type of a water mark on the back (I am not sure that is clearly visible on the pictures)

Jesus engraving also has a small word above his head and a quite mysterious symbol and monogram in the bottom of his feet.

I find some prints online marked with a stamp "International Chalcographical Society..." however not much info and I could not find anything about the piece or the artist.

I would really like to find out more

Thank you all!!!
    Jesus1.jpg
    Jesus2.jpg
    Jesus3.jpg
    Jesus watermark.jpg
    Jesus watermark and a stamp.jpg

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Probably 'The Blessing.'

Debora

Hunter S. and Bronwen like this.
  5. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

WOW, Thank you all so much :woot::woot::woot::kiss::kiss::kiss:

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

According to the Wikipedia article, that tool is a goldsmithing tool, and a goldsmith's insignia - not an engraving tool. (Had to check because I hadn't heard of an engraver's drill.)

Haven't read the other articles, but I'm guessing (just guessing) that the print is a heliograph produced using the same technique as popularized by Amand Durant. Still an intaglio print, but essentially an etching, the plate prepared using a photo of an original engraving. (At least that's how I understand it.)

Hunter S. likes this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The very light pencil marks appear to be a sketch from the next page in the artist's sketchbook that has rubbed off onto the back. It appears to have been a sketch to include a lawnchair.

Hunter S. likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what does it say in the book ? FIFI ? the god of dogs ?

Hunter S. likes this.
  9. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Thank you all so much for your comments!!! :):):)

Fid and shallow_ocean_spectre like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted