Style and period of this antique rocking chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Stuart Grace, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Stuart Grace

Stuart Grace New Member

Hi - When we moved to Portland a few years ago we purchased a beautiful antique tiger oak bedroom set. The women selling it had a smaller rocking chair that wasn't part of the set that she generously included in the sale. We know it's old - she had it in her bedroom about 70 years ago and claimed it was already quite old at that time - but we don't know enough about styles to place it. Can someone help? I've included a front and side view. It's quite a beautiful piece.

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Neat chair with some art nouveau influence. Would say 1890 to on into the 20th century a bit.

johnnycb09 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What a wonderful chair!!!!
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

5. Stuart Grace

Stuart Grace New Member

Thanks for your reply. It does have some of that wonderful, free-flowing pre-turn of the century feel to it, but I haven't ever seen anything quite like it before. I appreciate your taking a look.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's quarter sawn oak, which puts it squarely where Brad said. The back and seat would fit into the Arts and Crafts design era, smack into Margaret Macintosh in fact, but the rest looks pretty standard for the period. She and her husband helped start the "Glasgow school" design style. She was a heavy duty graphic artist among other things. No clue what it's worth.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Do see a bit of Glasgow School in this and that may be a closer match than comparing to pure art nouveau chairs.

8. Stuart Grace

Stuart Grace New Member

Thank you so much. That gives me a place to start educating myself. I appreciate your insight.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What a unique chair!!!! Either in MINT condition or beautifully restored!!!!! I've never seen one like it before!!!!!!!!!!! WONDERFUL!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

10. Stuart Grace

Stuart Grace New Member

Thanks - we enjoy it and have also never seen anything quite like it. I haven't done any major restoration, just a bit of touch up of very minor scratches. It was one of those lucky finds, especially considering that the woman who grew up with this chair added it at no cost to our antique bedroom set purchase. Good things do sometimes happen on craigslist.

Draft saved Draft deleted