Sugar and creamer set- question.....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by HippAntiques, Oct 9, 2020.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

We were going through some dishes from my Husband's grandfather. There were 4 sets just like these, with different patterns. I'm curious is there is a certain term for these? They seem different than a normal sugar/creamer set. The sugars look like they never had lids, and look more like teacups with no handle.

I'd like to research these, but don't know what to search for. Is there a certain term for these? They look to me like they came with a tea service or something.

Thanks for any help! IMG_3468.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like an open sugar bowl. Any marks?

Debora

bercrystal likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Potties always need to see bottom, marked or not :)

Plus a close up of the decoration will help tell if it is and painted or a decal.

Houseful, Aquitaine and Debora like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Once again Debora nails it.

5. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

Ok, see if these help. I couldn't get the pic of the design any more in focus....

If it helps, they were a wedding gift to my inlaws, and they got married in 1964. IMG_3481.jpg IMG_3480.jpg

judy likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Are these what some of us in Westpondia call English Breakfast sets?

I've got a couple similar in glass.

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

"Breakfast sets" include a tray, tea/coffee pot-for-one, cup, sugar bowl, creamer, and toast rack. I covet the old Royal Winton sets!

[​IMG]

OP's set is simply a sugar/creamer set, likely once from a complete service. It was very common in bygone days that the sugar bowl of an English china set was an "open sugar" as Debora said. Royal Chelsea was an "affordable" brand for the "average" home and the set pictured appears mid-twentieth century, IMHO.
    There are people that collect sugar/creamer sets but many, like me, prefer to collect the small-sized ones. I can't tell what size yours are... is the sugar bowl about the size of a teacup or smaller like a demitasse size?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Houseful likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's typical of sugar bowls here from about the 30s on.

Draft saved Draft deleted