Suggestions for a jewelry scale

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antique85, Mar 27, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Would appreciate suggestions for a jewelry scale at a moderate price. My understanding is that a scale would be more expensive if it is for diamonds. So this scale would not be for diamonds just general antique jewelry.

kyratango likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I use a good postal scale. Mine is by Soehnle, a German brand, I don't know if you can get it where you are, but I am sure there are other good ones.

antique85, kyratango and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got a couple of cheapies from Amazon.
    I don’t do diamonds or anything other than the occasional small lot of scrap silver. Both are different types and both give me the same reading so are equally right or equally wrong!

JayBee and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bought an el cheapo too, works fine.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

antique85 and kyratango like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, is it daft to be ridiculously excited about this feature?. No more trying to force an eyeball between the floor and the parcel to see what it reads! My next scales WILL have this!.
    Unfortunately my current ones are on their 20th year so I may have to wait some time as they obviously don’t plan to expire in a hurry :rolleyes:

Aquitaine, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  7. bercrystal

I have my original older model out in my packing area or as some people call it a garage & it does not have this feature. I have at times taken this one out there because of that feature. I do have it up on a bench so it is not as bad but seeing the weight without the aid of a flashlight is sometimes very tough. :p:p:eek:

kyratango likes this.
  8. antique85

The " 56 lb Digital Postal Shipping Scale " looks great. I was using the search term "jewelry scale" --and this was confusing and many of the scales were expensive. I would never have thought of searching for a "postal scale" so thanks for sharing info about this scale--which only costs $26.95 and has so many features.

bercrystal, Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Modern jewelry type scales are inexpensive,carat,gm,ounce,etc. 8 functions..... https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...=1&keywords=carat+scale&qid=1616891008&sr=8-9

10. bercrystal

You are very welcome. :happy::happy:

It also depends on your needs. If you need to have something you can weigh out packages at your house & occasionally weigh silver or gold the postal scale may work well for you. However, if you need something you can take with you & you are going to key in on jewelry then the jewelry scale would make more sense.

The dealers who specialize in gold & silver buying at the auction house all have one of the portable jewelry scales that they use before the sales.

KSW likes this.
  11. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Supplementary question: all suggestions above seem to be for digital scales. Are these now accurate and consistent enough to be trusted on the difference between (say) 7 and 7.5 grams of scrap? Or do you need an old fashioned balance with weights for that?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My wee scales are fiendishly accurate.

13. antique85

Thank you for this information. I do not need a portable scale. My main reason for posting this question is that my household scales are not accurate: each time I weigh something the weight is slightly different. So my most important requirement is accuracy. I would like to find a brand that is known for accuracy and good quality. The scale you recommended has "Fixed Weight Calibration." I assume a calibration function would ensure accuracy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  14. bercrystal

My scales are used for weighing packages 99% of the time & when I list a piece of silver I always mention that it has been weighed on a postal scale. I have double-checked myself at times between my 2 scales & the weights have always been the same.

15. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

16. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

That looks good, coreya, thanks, and is possibly the bets answer to OPs# question. With a maximum capacity of 100g they should certainly be more accurate than mine (max. 1 kg), although the claimed ±0.005g might be a little optimistic.

My 1 kg scales show 0.1g steps and are accurate enough for kitchen use, letters and small packages, but I wouldn't rely on them to be precise beyond ±0.5g.

bercrystal's shipping scales are going to be great for larger parcels, though I also use luggage scales with a hook to solve the problem of not being able to see the display. Put your item(s) in a bag, sack or sling (an Ikea shopping bag works for many parcels).

bercrystal likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I also have one of the cheap ones, I think was $9.99 on Ebay. Purchased 18 years ago and still working flawlessly. The accuracy on it is unreal. I had 10 jewelry items (rings, brooch) that had been professionally appraised with weights noted. I recently sold most and in all cases my $10 scale was exactly the same, to a 10th of a gram, to the professional appraisals.

I use a separate scale of posting items, the gram scale for jewelry.

I didn't purchase from this seller, but along the lines of this one. I like that you can use the lid as a tray for items that are a bit larger, and subtract the tare (weight of the tray) easily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weight-Dig...760853&hash=item59632e522f:g:hmcAAOSwEzVgDF8B

Draft saved Draft deleted