Suggestions for program or app to track art collection?

Discussion in 'Art' started by all_fakes, Aug 17, 2015.

1. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for a PC program or Android App to keep track of one's art collection? I've seen museum-quality programs, $250 and up, but was hoping for something less expensive. I imagine a general database-type program could be used also, if anyone has suggestions along that line.
    Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Excel would work-just label as many columns as you like with whatever attributes. There are lots of ways to sort, rearrange, add etc and lots of folks know how to use it if u run into trouble.

3. all_fakes

Thanks for the suggestion, seems like that would be a pretty easy way to do it.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Excel is what I would say too. You can really do a lot with it. Good luck.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Excel, certainly. You can put hypelinks in cells to link to your photos, too.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I just forget what I have so finding it again is a double pleasure.

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I use MS Access for my tracking database; easy to attach photos and set up as many attributes as one likes. As a standalone it's fairly reasonable and comes with several template database setups that would probably work. Easy to sort and generate reports.

Pat P likes this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for mentioning this! :)

I have Access as part of MS Office 2013, but never even looked at it. After reading your post, I did a test and imported part of an Excel spreadsheet I've been using to catalog my books, and... wow... I can see how much better having the info in Access will be.

It came with default templates for both personal and business inventory, too, which should help in getting things set up.

9. TallCakes

I started with the 'Home Inventory' spreadsheet and made some changes and find it very nice for my cake stand collection. I put a little number sticker on each piece of glass that's in the database. It's nice to be able to quickly sort by maker or pattern name to find something. I often add ongoing auction prices to the notes along with other pertinent notes. When I cannot recall the exact name or maker of something I just check the number and go to the database.

Pat P likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, the home inventory setup looked like the best one to start with to me... thanks for the confirmation

After I did my test import from Excel, I loved how I could manipulate the data to easily change the sort order or to display only the items that met certain criteria... it's really flexible.

Also, it was a pain trying to add a large amount of text in Excel, like reference info I found on the web about a particular book, links to websites, etc. It looks like Access will handle this type of data beautifully, which is a real plus for me.

11. TallCakes

I also like the 'asset details' pop up window as it displays all the data along with any photos I have attached. And any comments or notes may be added to the description section or comments tab.

Pat P likes this.
  12. Alain Rothschild

Alain Rothschild New Member

Index cartes? Notebook?

You needing computer? You collection very big? How many art works?

13. all_fakes

Maybe 500 items; do think computer would be best; would want to print out, organize in various ways. Access and Excel seem like good possibilities.
    For books I'm still looking for a program that will allow input via bar-code scanner.....

Draft saved Draft deleted