Suggestions on selling our Berkey & Gay dinning room set

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lauren H, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Lauren H

Lauren H New Member

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how you date this set to 1901; I would have guessed 1920s.

I'd sell it on Craigslist or some other local platform. Interest in dining room sets, however nice, is at a low. In my part of the U.S. Midwest it would be hard to give this set away, as large brown furniture is out of fashion. Maybe $300 - $400 on the best of days.

Lauren H and komokwa like this.
  3. Lauren H

Lauren H New Member

Hello,
    The furniture has the manufactures plate with the date on it. My husband’s father had them appraised over 20 years ago but we realize the market for “Brown” furniture is all but gone now. The furniture is very big and has been quite expensive to store so I was hoping to find the set a new home. Convincing my husband to sell was not easy and I’m sure once he see’s the market isn’t there he will change his mind :(. Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Ditto
    Ditto again!
    We just had a discussion about dining rooms a few threads ago, your problem is dining rooms in large part are going extinct in many American homes. Naturally, that makes "dining suites" vulnerable as their original space has been incorporated into kitchens.

Ghopper1924 and Lauren H like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and Lauren H like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted