Featured SUGGESTIONS PLEASE FOR REPATRIATING SURFACE FINDS FROM OQUIR, SAUDI ARABIA.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Darkwing Manor, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Whilst settling an estate for a friend, I ended up holding the dubious bag of ancient surface finds collected in 1954 through 1960 by her uncle, an American petroleum engineer working near ancient camel route settlements near Oquir, and Qwatif, or Qatif, S.A. On one collection date he was accompanied by St. John Philby https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John_Philby. Some are said to be 4000 years old, another group c. 1550 AD, from a trading town of Chinese and Portugese.
    I contacted the National Museum of S.A. on Nov. 5 but no answer. Does anyone on the list have an inside contact with an appropriate agency in S.A., to get this repatriation fulfilled? I am paying postage! Thank you!

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u wish to help the Saudi's .... with bits and pieces.....and you'll pay for shipping....

I doubt they'd even be interested...:meh:

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apparently, yours is not an uncommon problem. This (fairly) recent article states the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) is involved in repatriations.

https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/saudi/saudi-historical-artifacts-repatriated-from-us-1.1554365351470

You might have better luck contacting them. SCTH is, apparently, part of the Ministry of Tourism. Here's a link to the Contact page on their web site.

https://mt.gov.sa/en/AboutSCTA/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

And I applauded you for doing the right thing. It may be time consuming and costly but something you'll never regret.

Debora

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. Darkwing Manor

Thank you, Deborah. I just contacted them. As an avocational archeologist and a retired museum curator, I find it abhorrent when people surface collect, unless it is a prescribed part of a permitted dig plan. In any case the context, and in this situation the exact location has been lost. But I know better than to second guess any field professional's assessment of how valuable they will find these to be. So, back they go, if I can get a proper reply. I will keep you posted.

KSW, kyratango, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

SO, I emailed them on Nov. 16th. No reply. I am considering just mailing them off, with the original notes. What do you think?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frustrating, I know but... I would be hesitant to do that as you wouldn't be certain that they ended up where they should be. Why don't you contact one of the Saudi regional consulates here in the U.S. and see if they can be of assistance?

https://www.saudiembassy.net/saudi-offices

Debora

8. Darkwing Manor

Thanks. I will try that. This is entirely out of my realm of experience. It borders on politics... ick.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can always hold your head up high; you're doing the right thing. And the right thing is often time consuming and inconvenient.

Debora

10. Darkwing Manor

Thank you! Its exhausting being perfect. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

bercrystal likes this.
  11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Don't forget if its a man at the other end of the email then they might not reply due to women not being able to interact with men.
    The country is incredibly prohibitive on what women can and cannot do.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Know the feeling.

Debora

13. Darkwing Manor

Even electronically? That sounds ridiculously inconvenient.

komokwa likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

"That sounds ridiculously inconvenient"

Don't criticize them,
    Thats what a journalist, columnist for The Washington Post did, he got an invite to the Saudi embassy in Turkey and he came out in bits.:eek:

komokwa likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bureaucracies work slowly and even more so in "developing" countries.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted