Surreal Marilyn & Surreal Cityscape + Drawing? by MB Holocaust memorial Ken Treister

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 2, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a lot of art at the thrift store today - much to my girlfriend's dismay! (Don't worry; I only have 3 here) -
    The first is a large surreal Marilyn Monroe looking painting on carboard(?); I first thought it was a Warhol Marilyn (my girlfriend saw Jimi Hendrix!)
    And the 2nd is a surreal cityscape - both appear to be unsigned.
    Any ideas on who did either - or are they going to be a mystery forever?
    PS - Look at the dust on the bottom of the Marilyn - it has definitely been in storage somewhere for a long time!

The last is a small painting/drawing(?) signed Ken Treister - which I believe is Kenneth Treister the artist - painter, architecture, author - who designed the Miami Beach Holocaust memorial about 15 min away from me!
    Was this small piece by him? Is it a drawing or a painting or a print?

ART PAINTING MARILYN MONROE SURREAL 1A_A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING MARILYN MONROE SURREAL 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING MARILYN MONROE SURREAL 4A_aA.JPG ART PAINTING MARILYN MONROE SURREAL 8AA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CITYSCAPE UNSIGNED 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CITYSCAPE UNSIGNED 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CITYSCAPE UNSIGNED 3AA.JPG

COULD THAT BE A SIGNATURE ABOVE?

KEN TREISTER BELOW

ART PAINTING KEN TREISTER HOULICAST MEMORIAL 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING KEN TREISTER HOULICAST MEMORIAL 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING KEN TREISTER HOULICAST MEMORIAL 3AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Can anyone tell me if the last piece was indeed done by holocaust memorial architect / designer Ken Treister? Is it a drawing or print?
    And finally - any thoughts on my Marilyn Monroe painting?
    My first thought was School of Warhol - but it also reminds me of Peter Max?

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The last one is probably the ken treister as he was in Miami Florida. The Monroe looks to be a students work inspired by pop art whether warhol or another artist. The City skape is a decorative sofa painting from some sort of furniture store possibly.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The Treister looks like it was done in felt tip which is a very fugitive media and would explain the faded look tothe ink.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thanks - he is definitely a jack of all trades!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

7. journeymagazine

Yes! It should sell easily locally because he did the big holocaust memorial here

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted