SV135 WWII Army Nesco Mermite food carrier, complete

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Zinnie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I bought this complete carrier set almost 20 years ago from an elderly couple down the block who were moving away. The husband was old enough to have brought it back from Europe (most were left there because they are HEAVY). I originally thought the large container would make a nice planter (after painting it!) for the yard but never used it as such. :D Tucked it away in the garage corner instead and just kinda forgot about it.

It's in great condition - a broken gasket and a slight dent is all that appears to be wrong with it. Very little rust (mostly on bottom, naturally), no holes, very clean - even the pans, which are a complete set. 1943/44. I have more photos of each piece. Any questions, let me know.

I'd so appreciate how to sell this without using eboo as I don't want to be scammed. I've seen these, or their parts, on that site and know there are those who watch for the containers. Whether they buy honestly is another thing. What are other options that work or how to work eboo successfully (if possible)? Is local Facebook market worth trying? TIA! SV135ArmyNescoMermite-fullset_900h.jpg SV135ArmyNescoMermite-Carrier-Interior_800w_1716.jpg SV135ArmyNescoMermite-Whole-Closedup_900h_1781.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Did someone stencil on the “SV 135” recently? That lettering is surely newer than the container. I don’t think the collectors would like the new stenciling. Where did the “SV-135” come from, I can’t find anything searching for that.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Zinnie likes this.
  3. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

That was on there when I bought it. I have no idea what it means. I do know these carriers had stenciling on them when used for blood (lots of images out there for those).
    So I researched this more just now and found this site!!! https://www.ima-usa.com/ Why didn't this come up before now?? :grumpy: Worthpoint is another source for the food carriers but it needs membership and is mostly what gets sold on oobay, I think??
    I will do more searching for 'SV 135'. Are you a vet, S.arsenal?

4. springfld.arsenal

Yes, US Navy 1967-1980.

Zinnie likes this.
  5. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

That's good to know - thank you for your service. :) So, you are saying you have no clue what SV 135 means either? I thought it was perhaps the troop number...hmmm I guess this means more research.

Do you know much about WWII artifacts? Did they perhaps stencil these carriers after the war? It doesn't look much used. I am totally assuming this carrier was brought over by the man who sold it and I don't even know if he served in WWII. He was old enough to have, however. But I probably shouldn't say what I don't really know about it, right?? :rolleyes:

I will look into the IMA website more, see if I can get info from them. Thanks again for your comment - it's good to know it's not as straightforward as I thought. :)

judy likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Thank you, INH! This looks vaguely familiar, I think I scanned through it at some point this summer but will read again, maybe something will click. The price range for these is extreme as well, if you're lucky to just happen on one at a garage sale. It's knowing their often extreme sentimental value however that's somewhat hard to deal with. I'm not rich, can use the money, but I have no interest in the military. At least this was something that was helpful rather than potentially deadly, but even so I'll be happy to finally sell it but at the best price I can get. I guess that could be true of a lot of what's on here as well tho.

That said, if I "join" this military forum and post this on there as something for sale, will those members respond okay with that? Or would it be seen as an intrusion? I have no clue once again...hmmm, where's the baby emoticon? :D

i need help likes this.
  8. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

hmm - that's weird how that showed up above...as part of the quote? How did I do that...

i need help likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You started typing your reply before the "end quote" code - looks like this [/QUOTE]

i need help likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

In biology, a mermite is a kind of seagoing termite. Insect equivalent of mermaid. Shipworms eat them. Equador is the only country where they are found on land. In the ocean, they are rarely found more than 16 degrees north or south of the equator, but global warming is causing a very gradual increase in their habitat.

Lying again, are ya?

i need help and Zinnie like this.
  11. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    Oh, okay! Thanks so much, B-gma! I'll watch for that from now on. Too much going on. :eek::confused::p And managed to fix without totally deleting! Thank you again! :)

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  12. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Are you a biologist as well? :) So what's a shipworm then? And this doesn't explain why these carriers are called Mermite. Every time I go to research them "Marmite" always comes up first. LOL

i need help likes this.
  13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Cousin to the Yuropean Marmite.

911lwZSujBL._SL1500_.jpg

You either like it or hate it, no inbetween.
    But it does stop the mozzies biting ya.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

No, I’m a bovine scatologist.

i need help likes this.
  15. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: You guys are just so funny, aren't you? Like I'm going to trust anything you say from now on! :D

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Zinnie likes this.
  18. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone really knows what "mermite" actually defines, how its use originated except from young American soldiers in foreign countries who didn't understand the accents or the languages. Makes most sense as a word for food carrier re marmite, the cooking dish - as INH suggests. I'm just repeating what I saw them called on hooboy and what most military enthusiasts use.

Here's my proof - if these "ration-al" guys don't know, who does? :D
    http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1428

i need help likes this.
  19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You could probably contact the company which made them,there is probably history of their good there. National Enameling and Stamping Company

The people on that forum sounded like a bunch of "clowns".

Zinnie and i need help like this.
  20. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Good idea, Hollyblue - except they are no longer in business. But some history is out there and I found a link to a Facebook account that explains the inner coating of my food carrier (some don't have this), which is graniteware. One of the NESCO founders saw enamelware on tin pots and pans in Europe, learned its process, and came back to create this on sheet iron using granite, thus creating 'Granite Ironware'.

As per the ration-mongers, they are a different kind of group, no doubt. :p

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted