Featured Swiss Chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg medallion

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Jan 4, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve searched high and low for another one of these and I can’t find one so would be grateful if anyone has any ideas about this.
    Sort of looks like a tourist souvenir but it appears to be better quality?
    Brass or similar, 1.5 inches across and quite weighty.
    I expected to find plenty on Google or eBay but not that I can find.
    Any ideas please? Thanks for looking :)
    C3315190-944F-44AD-82AC-5E9C3F3874CD.jpeg AD599EDE-9917-44D9-A452-D295DA752049.jpeg CB5478A6-027B-456D-B6D1-BFBEB90675CB.jpeg C20A572D-0307-4924-9A03-33D5A94BAEAA.jpeg 99880E91-1641-446B-91D2-12F0E0E06AF7.jpeg FA54FBFD-CC6E-42B2-A10B-10C601A83C2B.jpeg 6F5D90F7-ACDE-45BD-B621-D23F269BEC0B.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Thierstein or Tierstein family were an important Swiss noble family in the Middle Ages. Oswald and Wilhelm Thierstein were brothers.
    The castle is in Alsace, now France. It is also known as Hohkönigsburg, maybe that helps in the search.
    I found this on Count Oswald:

"This powerful noble family had a final period of glory in the reign of Graf Oswald I of Thierstein who as Austrian 'Landvogt' in Alsace, Sundgau and Breisgau held the office of imperial councillor. In 1480 Oswald I transferred the family seat from Pfeffingen to Haut Koenigsbourg which had been granted to him as an imperial fief by Emperor Frederick III. The family died out in 1519"
    https://www.hmb.ch/en/museums/objec...s/armorial-panel-of-the-counts-of-thierstein/

I am sure our Swiss member @Fid will be able to tell us more.:)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. Any Jewelry

4. Any Jewelry

anundverkaufen, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Oswald and Wilhelm were brothers of one of the Thierstein lines and were given Hohkönigsburg in Alsace as fief by Friedrich III. who was of Habsburg decent as Friedrich V. and ruler of some Southern Austrian dukedoms before becoming Kaiser of the
    Holy Roman Empire.
    the Thierstein family has a long history of taking hostages and being a bit "unruly" even in Northern Italy, so the ideal guys for a stronghold that often changed hands.
    ssssooooooo, not Swiss, never Swiss really because the Thiersteins were from the canton of Aargau that was Habsburgian at the time, but later German and then changing between Germany and France.
    capisce ? :hilarious:
    to me it's a French fake because in 1460 the brothers werent there yet (1479 only) and because Wilhem should be Wilhelm.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    beautiful view over the plaine of the Rhine into Germany where you'd see the Black Forest when it's clear. a typical position to defend frontiers.
    worth a visit !

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)
    I have emailed them to see if they can tell me about it.
    Err.....yep....with you all the way.....(trots off to revise history of Europe):hilarious:
    Very nice although I suspect a little snippy in the winter!

anundverkaufen, Any Jewelry and Fid like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It was rebuilt in the early 1900s, so they could have had a state of the art heating system installed.;)

KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted