Sword question

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jeff Drum, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have a rapier that I believe to be quite old, so I was going to post it to swordforum.com since that seemed to have a number of knowledgeable folks, but there is no way to create an account there due to out of date links and lack of maintenance, so I guess it isn't worth posting there. I ran across vikingsword.com as an alternative and am waiting to join there. I'll post some pics here in case anyone has any knowledge about antique rapiers, or can recommend the best forum specializing in old (not reproduction) swords these days. As far as I can tell the sword is an 16th/17th century Italian swept-hilt rapier with diamond blade. Don't think it is reproduction or made up of parts. Anyone have any swords or reference books on Renaissance rapiers? sword1.jpg sword2.jpg sword3.jpg sword4.jpg sword5.jpg sword6.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That looks like an honest killing machine...:)
    I use Vikingsword as one of my references, but I'm not a member, so good luck there.
    Let us know what they have to say !

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

So its been a week and a half and no reply from forum at vikingsword.com They are a fairly active forum, but I guess they just want to talk to each other and not let anyone else join. Arg!!!

Can anyone recommend a better forum dedicated to antique swords that is looking for new members? Or anyone know anything they can add here? @springfld.arsenal seems like you would know about this?

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’ve always gotten some kind of answer from them, but maybe I should ask my local chapter of The Company of Military Historians. I’ll post the link to this thread there, ask chapter members to look, and see what happens. They are most interested in US swords but they have knowledge of others.

Christmasjoy and Jeff Drum like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

I think if you gently brushed this area, stroked it with a pencil eraser etc. you’d be able to read some markings. There’s some text or numbers extending to the right in this pic, plus the logo. The repeated vertical lines are saying something too. See if you can get better photos of this area after removing debris. The two light reflections in line on lower right make it look like the top layer of metal is a separate piece.

39A8BA4D-E950-42D6-9EEB-B74F9FE119AA.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

I don’t know how this reply got to Ms. Spring’s email but here it is: if u want his email I can send u pm

“Hi Jeff,

just saw your post on the rapier, I dont know if its in full lenght, but I can tell you for sure it is an Original , no doubth .

If you want you may mail me more detailed pics also in full length and the lenght in cm or inch.

Vikingsword is perhaps one of the most knowledgable forums , but not all people on it are honnest , I have been collecting this for over 40 years and I have learned to shut up there when it comes to real or fake, there are people on it that are looking for appraisals for bad items in order to sell them as good later.

kind regards

Dirk”

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice reply.......& the guys name is Dirk......that's funny !!:hilarious:

all_fakes, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted