T100 mark on silver demitasse & saucer

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mansons2005, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

This 2-3/4" diameter cup and very deep 4-1/2" diameter saucer are both marked "T100". Any clues fully appreciated.

MVC-045S.JPG

MVC-046S.JPG

MVC-047S.JPG

MVC-049S.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see that some think it is middle eastern silver mark meaning its 100% silver. "T" was started circa 1920.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Geez. 100% silver? That's pretty soft, isn't it?

Where did you see this Johnny?

Fid and judy like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

I once owned a pendant (on a chain) that was 100% silver and it was very soft (note the past tense). These pieces feel much sturdier, but they are also much thicker, so I can't really compare. As ridiculously spendthrift as my family could be, I do not see them shelling out for solid silver coffee cups, no matter WHO came to dinner.

BUT - as a child I drank my first cup of tea from this set and used it for years in the nursery. Now I wonder if it isn't actually intended as a child's set and not a demitasse set...............talk about being born with a silver spoon!!!!

Fid, judy, Aquitaine and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They're talking "East Indian" not Middle Eastern. But if this were Kutch/Cutch I would expect it to be much fancier (but only from what I have seen online.)

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Another one I'd buy for my collection.

judy likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have seen the 'T' quality marks on both Indian and Cambodian silver, including '100', the marks are still in use, but the Cambodian marks are sometimes used on low quality or silverplate pieces. This set looks Indian to me, the shape and size pretty typical of their tea cups & saucers - doubt it had much age when you used it as a child, Mansons...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Mansons2005

Oh, what I meant to imply was that this MAY have been a (new) gift to me as a child and not purchased by the old folks as a demitasse coffee cup. Though that would give it a "few" decades of age by now.................

And who knows - my memory is so crowded with useless nonsense that I may be confusing this with a tin cup intended for a kid....though what EVER it was, it did have a saucer because I distinctly remember Nanny teaching me to balance it on my knee so that I would be ready for "grown-up" tea...........

komokwa, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Mansons2005

Once again, my undying thanks to all for the research and opinions! To paraphrase the vernacular - "Youse Guys Rocks"!!!!

judy likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Okay - I thought you may like to see these pieces after they were cleaned up AND see why you should clean the up BEFORE you start photographing them.

MVC-850S.JPG

The cup is 2-3/4" diameter by 1-3/4" tall and slightly out of kilter near the handle.
    MVC-857S.JPG MVC-859S.JPG MVC-858S.JPG

After cleaning I found these markings on the side of the saucer (4-3/8" diameter)
    MVC-863S.JPG
    The only noticeable scratches are inb the bottom of the cup
    MVC-860S.JPG MVC-861S.JPG MVC-862S.JPG MVC-864S.JPG

12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Mansons, what interesting pieces you have posted the last few days! I've got nothing on this set. Oh wait a minute.....this cup and saucer must be from the deep south of India, southern Cambodia, or the southern part of whatever country. Turning the last pic of the saucer markings 180 degrees, the markings say "gift of y'all H4331." ;)

--- Susan

IMG_2565.JPG

gift of y'all H3341

judy and cxgirl like this.
  13. Mansons2005

you know, it almost DOES! And all joking aside, the idea that this may be Indian brings to mind a relatives suitcase - yes his suitcase!

I can't actually get to it right now (it is on a ledge over 8' up), but here's the best I can do:

MVC-869S.JPG

The white text is actually stenciled directly on the case, which is approx. 20" by 40" and 10-12" deep.

And yeah, "looming homelessness" has me digging deep into the treasure troves these days:woot::woot::woot:

14. KMaps

KMaps New Member

The markings are actually Gujarati (western India). Engraving on expensive silverware is common practive even today. I can't read the whole thing - but if you show it to a local Indian/Gujarati they can probably read it out to you.

http://www.ancientscripts.com/gujarati.html

judy likes this.
  15. KMaps

KMaps New Member

The engraving is Gujarati (western India). I can't see it clearly but seems to read: "thay-bun put-raa tarafthi". This roughly translates to: From "thay-bun's" son.

Show it to somebody from western India and they should be able to read it properly.

http://www.ancientscripts.com/gujarati.html

judy likes this.
  16. Arun

Arun New Member

It means "sent from son". It's 99 to 100% pure. It's think gauge helps it from deforming. Lower weighted artifacts protect themselves from deforming by clever design.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Arun! :)

judy likes this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Arun!

Welcome to Antiquers!

i need help likes this.
  19. Arun

Arun New Member

The writing means something like "given by son". It's pure 99-100%. It protects itself from deformities by having a higher gauge (thickness). It's worth almost it's wright in silver. Not to mention antiquity.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What an odd coincidence that two of Manson2005's VERY old discussion threads in the Silver category were resurrected by two different new members of the forum within 12 hours or so of each other. What are the chances? Just a strange coincidence, I assume. Maybe we should start summoning Mansons here again?

Here is the other thread. I also commented there.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/quist-silverplate-candle-holder-any-ideas-on-age.423/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted