Table, Chairs, matching Sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rob Daley, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Rob Daley

Rob Daley New Member

Hi, first time poster. I have inherited these items from my great aunt. She had a penchant for nice furniture!
    I have no idea about them and wondered if anyone can help. (The other furniture I have, a cocktail cabinet and corner cabinet came from Harrods in the 1960s and I have receipts for both of those). Unfortunately I don’t have any receipts.
    The dimensions for the table are h.750mm l.1650 (with leaf) w.835
    Sideboard h.750 l.1400 w.550

Thanks,
    Rob

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey Rob:

Nice furniture indeed! I'd guess 1955-65, possibly even newer, with this set. Reminds me of my parent's set from 1963, which they have maintained perfectly for all these years. So, warm fuzzies for that.

Given that these pieces are inherited, I hope that you intend to hang on to them and use them. If you've been reading our furniture forum for long, you know that "brown furniture" is in the basement value-wise. Unfortunately, dining room sets are taking one of the hardest hits of all. This set might bring a couple hundred $ on the very best of days here in the U.S. Midwest. I'm also hearing stories of people who can't give their sets away for any price.

3. Rob Daley

Rob Daley New Member

Thanks, only picked it up yesterday so yes I’ll be keeping hold of it for now (I did know there wouldn’t be much value to them at the moment), it’s just that we are a family that constantly use the dining table (eating, painting, writing, etc) so its the hub of the house, given it’s in such great condition I really don’t want to ruin it.

4. Ghopper1924

As long as you have a buffer layer between eating painting, or writing and the surface of the table then you should be OK.

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Hi Rob, you describe the furniture as matching? I can’t see that the table and sideboard wood or style match.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I only poster the major images.....FULL SIZE, which they all should be, in the future please, and thank you!! It's OK....you're new!! And WELCOME!!!:):)

ED20D0C2-B8EA-4CF5-86E1-0686A493F83C-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpeg

EAA385D7-A1F0-40E3-BADC-E8CB49074556.jpeg

DCDAC22E-3CAB-4C61-B39F-F0641355A96A.jpeg

6F817834-6342-42B7-BD3E-5E49FF209900.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  7. Rob Daley

Rob Daley New Member

Hi,
    It might be the light from the photos but the colour and wood are the same, I guess because the legs are also the same I thought they were from a set.

Houseful, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The sideboard wood looks different, maybe flame mahogany and the table top looks different. Maybe it is the light. Others more knowledgeable than me will be along to give you info.
    Oh yes, Welcome!

antidiem likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's lovely and looks like a married set to me.
    I think the table and chairs could be as recent as 1970s or 1980s.
    If you show us some of the details of the underside of the table, it could change my mind as to age. The buffet looks older 1950s-1960s to me.

Houseful and Aquitaine like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Houseful, you have really good eyes and sensibilities to see the differences in the buffet and the table and chairs. Thanks, it's true.

Houseful likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

All looks like mahogany to me and the queen Anne legs all match. While we have some style variation otherwise with the buffet, I think it is a set. Think post-WWII for sure and possibly newer as others suggest.

12. Ghopper1924

Definitely a set. The buffet exhibits some stylistic adherence to the Phyf-ey 40s and 50s, more so than the other pieces, but as verybrad noted the legs and mahogany all match. I'll stick with the 1960s for a date.

13. Rob Daley

Rob Daley New Member

Hi, Thanks for all the replies so far, really helpful, I’ll take some pictures of the underside tonight and post them.

antidiem likes this.
  14. Kelly T Keating

Kelly T Keating New Member

Definitely 20th century in a Queen Anne/Georgian style. I think too the sideboard and dining room table and chairs may be a marriage. The pieces look like they are good quality and in good condition.

antidiem and Houseful like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very nice quality. I'd get a heatproof mat made of the right size to protect the table when you use it.

16. Rob Daley

Rob Daley New Member

Hi, sorry about the delay, (4 birthday in 6 days in our household!!!!) these are a couple of pics from underside. Again thanks for the replies so far.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted