Featured Table from India

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Just finished repairing this; one leg in three pieces, another leg broken off its bracket. Basket case brought back to useful life. Interesting inlay of metal and bone in what looks like solid mahogany or another tropical wood. I assume from India, but lighter and airier than most of the indian tables I see. Maybe @Any Jewelry will be so good as to tell us the real details :D
    P2172156.JPG P2172157.JPG P2172153.JPG P2172154.JPG P2172155.JPG P2172159.JPG P2172158.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, and I would think Middle East, but when it comes to inlay styles @808 raver or @santiques can probably tell you more.

Jeff Drum, judy and 808 raver like this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

How about a Syrian Moorish Tea Table Inlaid with Mother of Pearl kind-of-thing?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was also thinking in the direction of Syrian. But inlaid with bone, as Jeff said, and metal, and two different kinds of wood.

The difficulty with this kind of inlay is that you see roughly similar styles in a broad band from Southern Spain and Morocco all the way east to Indonesia and the Philippines. Even Zanzibar and some other parts of East Africa, due to the Arab influence.
    Those circles, for instance, are also seen a lot in Filipino inlaid furniture, but there they would be in mother of pearl.
    I hope the people I tagged can tell us more.

Jeff Drum, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

The truth is it's like nothing I've ever seen, saying that it does have some patterns I would expect to find in Indian inlay but it doesn't smack of Indian craftsmanship both in the construction and the intricacy you would expect to find in the inlay..............My hunch would be 60's Egyptian or Moroccan

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great repair job on a wonderful table!

Jeff Drum likes this.
  7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Jeff Drum likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted