Table Leg Attachment (Duncan Phyfe style?)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by John3847, Jul 5, 2018.

1. John3847

John3847 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a loose table leg that I would like to tighten, see attached image of how it is attached. It is a tri-leg and one of the three legs are loose, and it looks like there is a screw or something that could be tightened down inside, which is why I tried to take it apart. I removed the two top screws but it didn't come apart easily and I was wary of applying force until I knew more about how the bracket works. I did try some light prying to no avail.

Does anyone recognize this attachment or have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. People come and go at all hours, so be sure to come back and see who has answered. Plus this is a holiday week.

This is an @verybrad @James Conrad question. They usually show up in the evenings. So be sure to check back.

i need help likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh and they may ask for a picture of the whole table from the side.

i need help likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a modern version of a 3 leg candle stand. In a period candle stand you often see an iron brace on the bottom to keep dovetailed legs in place. I can't really help with this though but i would think removal of screws/bracket on loose leg would not hurt anything.

5. John3847

John3847 New Member

Thank you. Here is a picture of the whole table from the side.

Attached Files:

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. John3847

John3847 New Member

Thanks James. I may just try and clamp/glue it if I can't figure out how to take it apart. My main worry is breaking something if I apply too much force trying to pry it apart.

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It looks like the phillips screw holds the bracket to column & the regular screw is an adjusting screw. I would remove both & see what that does. I doubt glue will help you here as it appears legs are held in place mechanically with that bracket.
    If removing 1 set of screws doesn't work, try removing all the screws as bracket could be one piece on back side of column.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Also not familiar with this attachment. I would try removing the slotted screw and pulling the pin it holds to see if this releases the leg. Agree that gluing may not be an option with this attachment.

Draft saved Draft deleted