Featured Table runner, where from and when?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by J Dagger, Jan 7, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

38C9F775-D2F6-4506-9B11-CD2096626E98.jpeg D5C17E28-5097-40DE-A7A5-DCDD46FB27CE.jpeg D4F5C27C-4C1D-4547-847F-33AC96020619.jpeg I assume this is meant to be a table runner. Don’t have dimensions at the moment though. I think I had pinned down a likely source but now forgot where my research led me. Mexico? It’s dirty but I think it has a good look. Any ideas on when it may have been made? Mid century? Picked it up early summer or so at a thrift store and just came upon the pictures.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks Mexican to me. Rough condition. Could be mid-century.

Debora

Figtree3, J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

Looks Mexican and hand embroidered, which is lovely. I'm guessing a made-for-tourists piece. I'm not sure how colour fast those threads will be for washing, though.

Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're typically woven, not embroidered. And rather sloppy work; one would expect the reverse side to be more neatly finished. Agree re color fastness. ¡Ojo!

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I do question its use. The piece appears to be doubled in the photo. What are its dimensions?

Debora

7. J Dagger

I know, I guess I may as well try since it’s not much use like this. I was worried how it would hold up. I probably wouldn’t have brought it home today but I was in a buy anything cool mode for a bit.
    Maybe I can hand wash it with some oxy clean. My ex would use that on some pretty delicate stuff with success. I need something to stick under the door to stop drafts this winter, maybe I’ll use this and then it won’t really matter.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:muted:

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

I suspect it may have been woven and embroidered in Peru for the tourist trade I see no sheen, so it could be of all cotton that they also spun. Hard to say. It's worthy of dry cleaning, quick spray with rubbing alcohol, they rolling until any mildew disappears. I'd put it on my table.

J Dagger, patd8643 and Figtree3 like this.
  10. J Dagger

I don’t have access at the moment. Stuffed in storage in god knows what box :). I’ll probably be looking for it in a couple days. I think I will literally use it to stick at base of door for drafts.

11. J Dagger

I do really like the look of it. I’m glad I’m not alone. Would you mind explaining the process you’ve mentioned in more detail? Beyond throwing things in the washing machine I’m uneducated in cleaning textiles.

Kathy Anderson likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Some of the Santas I know recommend something called Color Grabbers. Shout makes one and another company called Carbona makes them. I am going to experiment with my older dress soon. Supposedly, the color gets absorbed by the Color Grabber and the red won't bleed onto the white fur. I've seen some pictures of suits that came out fine. I need to do it before I put Mrs. Claus away for the summer. ;)

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    Have you tried Dryerite (sp). I use it a lot on stuff that needs cleaning but I did not want to get wet. I had antique drapes that all of the cleaners refused to do since it contained red silk and dark blue cotton with white liners. I did the drapes with the dry cleaning stuff in my dryer. The amount of dirt in the bottom of the bag was impressive. The curtains did not shrink and looked wonderful all of the stains were gone.
    greg

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I haven't tried anything yet. Our local dry cleaners don't want to do it so I'm on my own. I bought a new dress last year because Mrs. Claus ate too many of her own cookies and was busting out the seams. :bored: I want to wash the old one and sell it. I had the faux fur replaced a few years ago and I had washed the dress in cold water at the time when the fur was off. I don't want to bother with that again.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  15. J Dagger

Interesting! Plz update when you try this! Sadly your photo link doesn’t work. I assume it was of the Mrs. Claus dress. ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

As an "oldster" have learned from an archaeologist that fungi spores die in rubbing alcohol fumes. They use it in archival boxes and displays. But, you have to be very careful with it. E.g., it will turn sterling black, it will ruin silk & rayon threads to a certain extent, ruin pearls, some glass, etc., etc., etc. Experience tells me the worse the "infection," the longer to keep the cloth exposed to the fumes and that may require "retreating."
    I use it two ways: spray the alcohol outside above the cloth and let the fumes fall down and then bag it for awhile, or, spray a bit of rag and put it in an air-tight bag with the cloth, but not touching it. It depends on how "bad" the infection is.
    Am sure there are lots of other ways, but this is the most effective for me.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted