Talavera piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andy111, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

Hullo, apologies for posting something i doubt is an antique. But i wanted to be sure. The writing on the bottom would certainly indicate its modern but it just confused me a bit with having some Japanese symbol on it too. A japanese person making talavera pottery in mexico i guess? Mid century/later?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Andy and Welcome - I don't think that is a Japanese mark. Rather, I believe it is the individual potter's cipher. Could be co-mingled initials or a representation of something important to the potter. It distinguishes him or her from the other Talavera potters. Sorry but I can't help as far as the dating.
    Don

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or a Spanish person making Talavera pottery in Talavera, Spain? It is not Japanese.
    I don't know about marks on Mexican Talavera, but it looks perfectly normal for Spanish Talavera.
    The Japanese do like Spanish culture though, like this Japanese Flamenco dancer:
    [​IMG]

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, Any Jewelry, how wonderful to have found that picture! I had no idea the Japanese liked Spanish culture.
    Don

Bronwen, silverthwait and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I find that fact to be almost, but not quite, as interesting as their fascination with Anne of Green Gables.

Figtree3, SBSVC, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And she looks beautiful, doesn't she?
    I used to dance flamenco as well, and still watch programs on Flamenco. In one of them I saw a Japanese girl taking a class in Sevilla, that's how I know.
    They like Western culture. There is a Holland Village near Nagasaki. Come to think of it, there are Holland villages all around the globe.:)
    The Nagasaki one, the Dutch finally get their mountains, or what they would consider mountains:
    [​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I love the Finnish Moomintroll books, barely known here in the US. Very big in Finland &, you guessed it, Japan. I could never figure out how American makers of stuffed animals never jumped on the characters & promoted the stories by way of promoting the toys. The Japanese recognized the potential. If you want your own huggable Moomin, you have to get it from there.

Maybe Anne ties in with the whole cos-play school girl thing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Bronwen

It looks like a monogram of TA or AT to me. The A at the bottom could be the potter.

9. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Bronwen

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted