Featured Tall Frozen Charlotte doll, what era is she?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kyratango, Jul 6, 2019.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

This was an impulsive buy:facepalm:
    At 10€, only bidder minutes before the end, I jumped on it;)

Dolls are not at all in my area of knowledge, but I managed to find it is certainly german, and the unglazed parts on her back are the sign she is a bathing one.

All others I found on the net have semi detached bent arms:bucktooth:

She is 16cm or 6.1/3" high.

Maybe @Christmasjoy or @judy can enlight me on her :joyful: Resized_20190706_141654001.jpeg Resized_20190706_141718001.jpeg Resized_20190706_141145001.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

She's no Barbie, is she.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Kyra!

I think you know more about this doll than I do! LOL.....I've never seen a "bathing one"....or ever recall seeing one anyway.

It is obvious that with the unfinished back that she was either lying down or propped against something.

The brightness of the gold shoes wants me to think newer? repro?

Or is the gold paint just in remarkable condition. I think having the doll in hand you will know.

Yet her face and body look period.....I'm thinking late 1800's/1900's.

I have little info on frozen Charlottes, and no good reference material.

I checked my Coleman's encyclopedia, but they don't devote much print space to them.

Googling doesn't bring up much either, but you might have better luck than me. I searched frozen Charlotte, gold shoes, blue ribbon garters.

It's possible @Christmasjoy will be able to offer you just the info you would like. I really wish I could help.

4. kyratango

Sure she is Barbie's Grand-Ma :joyful:

Bronwen, patd8643, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Barbie she is not!!:cat: Grandma maybe!?

6. kyratango

Hi Judy! Thanks for your input:kiss:

I got the bathing part from Wiki:bag::
    "Occasionally versions are seen with a glazed china front and an unglazed stoneware back. This enabled the doll to float on its back when placed in a bath."
    And from this listing:
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/394302-LG19005/Frozen-Charlotte-China-Bathing-Doll
    [​IMG]

Another one with blue garters and gilded feet:
    [​IMG]https://victoriantraditions.blogspot.com/2016/04/frozen-charlotte-dolls-how-adorable-but.html

It is possible too than during the firing process she laid on her back and the glaze didn't went there...

The gilding is pristine, except on back too where it is rough, as on the head's back, the black paint is rough too.
    Puzzling!:bucktooth: I'd think the gilding and colors were added in a 2th firing...

7. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Literally laughing out loud :hilarious:.

Barbie is actually older these days, you cant always trust her online persona. ;)

08A75535-FE9D-4936-BD9D-5016686286AC.jpeg

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Now I can put a visual to when mom used to say "Im gonna tan your backside!"

9. kyratango

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Absolutely!

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

She has a great face. I would have thought 1970s due to the very shiny gold paint.

The first link from Ruby Lane posted above mentions the doll in the description is from 1975. They are asking $125, so if similar, think you got a good deal.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  11. kyratango

It seems 1975 in the description in the ruby lane link is a typo:joyful: it says antique too.
    These dolls were made from 1850 till 1920, from what I read in several sites.
    The bright gold is astonishing, but all other features are stylistically old.

I haven’t find yet another with this arms position:bucktooth:
    Initially, I intended to dress her, but except if I make a poncho without a belt, she’ll remain naked:hilarious:
    PETA DOLL!;):cat::hilarious:

Bronwen and judy like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not familiar with these 'dolls' .. the antique frozen Charlottes that I have seen in my doll reference books all have had some freedom in their arms, I have never seen one with both arms attached to the body like this. I have a feeling of 'repro' on this one but it is just that, a "feeling" and I wouldn't swear on it. If she is the real deal she is in remarkable condition with no signs of wear whatsoever. ... Joy.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here is one similar to yours, the eye are a bit different. From pinterest, she was sold on Ruby Lane but the listing is gone so no information the seller/doll was in France also.
    I'll include the link at the bottom

. 38507139091409439407bf1837c8e6d3.jpg

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/369998925613151401/

Bronwen, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  14. kyratango

Thank you Joy!:kiss:

15. kyratango

:jawdrop: Fantastic, cxgirl, thank you!!!:kiss:
    Same shape! It is not her because of differences in the garters knots:)
    It is a pity the listing doesn't appear to see the back:bored:
    The one you found:
    [​IMG]
    Mine:
    [​IMG]

Bronwen, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

17. Christmasjoy

This one looks rather 'new' to me also .. after 100 + years they should be showing SOME wear. ... Joy.

kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Just a thought .. quite a few really old china play dolls have modern replacement legs with those blue garters with bow, none of my original chinas have garters with blue bows .. just china legs with painted boots, and showing wear from age, ... Joy.

kyratango likes this.
  19. Lucille.b

The originals were made 1850s-1920s, but there was a period in the 1970s when close to exact reproductions of these white ceramic antique 4-7" dolls with hand painted faces came out. (Made in Germany.) I remember seeing them show up now and then at thrifts, etc.

Here is one sold in the torso style. (View original auction.) Seller says German, 1970s. I think these are collected as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Anti...310517?hash=item23bb2f8af5:g:bAsAAOSw83Zcwi14

Hope yours is older, but I think has resale either way. :happy:

kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  20. Lucille.b

Small edit to above. Now has correct link. (View original item).

Draft saved Draft deleted