Tall glass vase with gilt engraving; worth a rescue attempt?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I enjoy challenges, but not sure how to proceed with this one. Clearly the problem is that someone dropped a marble in this vase, and probably pushed it down trying to remove it, so it is now quite stuck. Before I get into how to remove it, I wonder if it is even worth it? Can anyone point me to where and when this would have been made, and whether it is desirable? The engraving is apparently done by hand, since there are noticeable variations in the repeating panels. It is quite tall (15", 38cm) and unmarked with a polished pontil dome in the base, some of the gilt missing, no damage except the stuck marble. There is water around the marble (which is why there is a band around it that looks so wide), and the pontil is barely visible in the last pic like a halo.
    P8072856.JPG P8072857.JPG P8072858.JPG P8072859.JPG P8072862.JPG P8072861.JPG

ezeepass likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Have you filled your sink with HOT water and let that thing stand upside down with hot water inside? It may fall out, or it may still be stuck. Good thing it's not my vase, I'd have removed whatever the silver top part is(?) and slammed the vase upside down on the counter to dislodge the marble!

Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I've heard of two tricks to try.....1. spray WD-40 all around the marble & vase where it's stuck, turn it upside down and let it sit overnight.....it just MIGHT fall out! 2. Get a dowel stick and super glue it to the marble and carefully pull straight upward...might also come out that way......DOES EITHER WAY WORK?? HAVEN'T A CLUE.....BUT THEY SOUND WORTH A TRY! Not sure which I'd try first, 'cuz, man, it's WAAAY down there!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, don't know if it would work, but turn it upside down and wrap your hand around the marble (and it's vase) and expect it to warm up, releasing the marble. A bit of WD40 wouldn't hurt, either. preserve the vase, it could be French (St. Louis - San Louie).

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

No idea how but I would be trying the suggestions. Nice vase worth saving.

6. antidiem

Yah, I'd definitely try to get that marble out. It just kills the value.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I tried boiling water or ice on a rag on the outside, with gentle upside down hitting on a carpeted floor, before I posted without effect. When I poured water in, it made it past the marble so I knew it wasn't sealed shut, just stuck in parts. But that made me nervous about putting in oil, since I figured it would be stuck there once I put it in, whereas the water eventually dries.

I don't think superglue would work since the marble is round and not a good superglue surface, but did consider epoxy. Worst case would have been drilling a hole in the marble, but that would have been hard with the tools I have and probably not worth the time commitment. Before doing any of that I looked through my scrap metal and found an old stainless steel wiper blade flange, and figured it was worth flattening that and seeing if it could get past the marble in any spot (since I knew water made it past and it was an old imperfect marble). I was very surprised when it actually worked! In one spot the steel slid past the marble and dislodged it. BTW, the metal band at top of vase is actually glass with gold gilding on it, not an attached piece of metal.

So now the marble is out - but what do I have? Is there consensus it is french? Time period? Does it have any value?
    P8112875.JPG P8112876.JPG P8112879.JPG P8112877.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Forgive me if you mentioned already, is the rim Metal or gilt?

Jeff Drum likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Well, First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! And you still have a LOVELY..... I'm not sure what....TALL Vase??? Whatever....it's Beautiful....and best of all....STILL IN ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing:

Jeff Drum likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

He said "glass with gold gilding on it"........

Jeff Drum and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thanks, Aqui!

Jeff Drum and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The decoration, except for the top band and the periphery of the foot is engraved and once was gold filled.

antidiem likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  14. antidiem

CONGRATS!!! YAYA!!! It's a beauty!!! :cat::joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted