Tall Mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Halsey, Jan 24, 2020.

?

What mirror is this? Dating?

1. 19th Century?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 18th Century?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Halsey

Halsey Member

IMG_1532.JPG I am trying to date this mirror in my home that was my great-grandparents. 19th Century maybe? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Put a coin up to the mirror edgewise. If it is an older glass there will be more distance between the coin and the glass. Older glass is thicker than the new glass of the 20th century. What do you mean tall? we need a measurement. I had a tall pier mirror that was 8ft tall and have seen taller ones.
    greg

judy, Any Jewelry and Halsey like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

It would help to get a look at the back of the mirror as well.

4. Halsey

Halsey Member

It is 5 feet 6 inches, approx. I will need to take it off the wall to take pictures. Ty

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Halsey,
    It is a tall mirror, sorry I doubted you. Looking a photograph it is hard to decide if something is 2 inches or 2 feet tall.
    greg

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Just hazarding a guess, more photos would be helpful. Mid-19th century, Rococo Revival, based solely on the style elements. The glass test is a great diagnostic tool, but the original may have broken and been replaced with a later type. This glass appears to not have any beveling. I would expect to see that in a mid-19th century piece, especially on such a large and heavy span.

Halsey and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted