Featured Tapestry purse

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by MIRED, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

This little bag is likely from early 1900s based on family history. It has a chain handle, metal frame, 2 interior slip pockets, mirror and change purse. Fully lined with silk or satin. My mom described it as finer needle point than petit point. It's 6" tall and 7" wide. Anyone know where it might be from? Does the little metal tag hanging near clasp identify maker? IMG_6896.JPG IMG_6897.JPG IMG_6898.JPG IMG_6899.JPG

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Your purse is probably French, c.1920s. I can't tell makers by frame types, hopefully someone else can. Did you carefully inspect the frame edges and tag back for any maker's marks?

Sandra, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

I did check for any marks before and just looked again, with magnification, and don't see anything. Thank you for the tip that it's probably French and 1920s fits with known history. Thanks for helping me.

Darkwing Manor, Sandra and judy like this.
  4. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Tanya, Figtree3 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

6. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thx Darkwing! Yes front of clasp missing 4 marcasite stones and top of clasp missing one faux pearl. She said French or Austrian so I dunno.

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Looks like petit point to me. Beautiful!
    Petit point is a fine/tiny needlepoint.
    Technically, a tapestry is woven, not stitched.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  8. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks for clarifying!

bluumz likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

10. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Yes thank you for that. I actually tracked down the owner of the museum and she said the one at the SFO gallery is special because of the figural design vs mine that is floral and less important.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yours is still beautiful, though.

Tanya and MIRED like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted