Tardy "International Hallmarks on Silver" - latest edition and advice

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silver, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Silver

Silver Active Member

Good Day All

I have some questions regarding this reference work:

1. Given that a huge amount of free information is available on 925-100.com is this book worth buying?

2. I thought the most recent edition was 2005. Now I am finding references to a 2014 edition on the internet but a photo of the cover looks like one of the early editions. Is this 2014 version the real thing or some sort of scam? Has anyone here bought the 2014 edition?

3. Are the paperback editions as good as the hardcover books? I have previously bought books where the paperback omitted some of the photos (not silver books).

4. Several sites offer a free PDF but want registration. Does anyone have experience of this sites. It seems suspicious.

Advice would be appreciated.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have an old French Tardy (much used) and the 2014 English one. Both are paperback.
    The Tardy guides have always maintained the classic Tardy look.
    The only difference is that the more recent English one is updated and has fuzzier print, which you often see in American books. I still turn to the French one if I want to see better detail.
    Tardy in general has more/other information on official marks than the internet sites I know. Internet sites provide better information on maker's marks.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I have 2 old Tardy, paper back, for world silver marks and gold marks, I appreciate over all the analytic part of them, the marks beeing classified by thematic shape (animals, letters, body parts...) so practical!!!
    Searching for antique marks, I don't need the last editions:joyful:

4. Any Jewelry

Kyra, if you ever come across a bargain priced old French Tardy for gold marks (platinum, palladium), could you please let me know?:)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. kyratango

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: just saw the PRICE.... 903.99€!!!:nailbiting:
    ref=sr_1_1
    I feel rich now:woot::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I know, I saw that too, and thought: not in 903.99 years!:eek::eek::arghh:
    You can buy a lot of gold for that.
    I got my French Tardy silver one through the French Priceminister site for a reasonable price, but they didn't have the gold marks one.:(

Thanks for looking.:happy:

You should probably keep yours in a glass cabinet on a red velvet cushion and only take it out on special occasions.:pompous:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  9. kyratango

:woot::)
    glad for you! Will you have it set in a ring or a pendant?;):hilarious:

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I just ordered it, in France, no three digits for this one.:happy:
    I'll think about having it mounted in platinum, but will look for a glass case and red velvet cushion first.:hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tardy is horribly inaccurate on British stuff.

12. Silver

Silver Active Member

From what I can gather it is largely about non-British marks, isn't it?

13. Any Jewelry

It is originally a French book on international marks. It doesn't include all countries, but far more than many other books. Of over 300 pages of country lists, ca 35 are on Britain. And there is a section of marks grouped by symbol, if you don't know which country a mark is from. And some other silver info.
    I never look up British marks in Tardy, since there are so many books (and sites) devoted to British marks. Most jewellery I come across is non-British, and that's where I need Tardy or Divis.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    kyratango likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The Hallmark Research Institute released their second volume last year, Asian, Middle Eastern and African gold, silver, platinum, and palladium marks from the 19th century to present. The first volume was for the same, but with European marks, I know a few people who have it and have found it to be useful and accurate (though it's a rare reference that has no errors or omissions) - unfortunately, at $228. each, not a purchase I'll be making any time soon...

http://www.hallmarkresearch.com/html/Books.htm

~Cheryl

kyratango likes this.
  15. Silver

Silver Active Member

That's interesting. I suppose the European volume is a similar price. Are their books as easy to use as silvermakersmarks.com? I love the way they have indexed their marks.

According to Amazon there is a silver marks guide by Judith Miller coming out. I think it's a huge two volume item, if I remember correctly. Also at a phenominal price. I wonder if it will be a good book. I have the big fat book of Sir Charles Jackson that I paid quite a lot for and I find the marks section hard to use.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I swear by Jacksons in any of its editions, I own both the pocket and big versions. Bradbury is also good. I'm not keen on Miller's stuff: she isn't really an academic on such things and I think you need to be. I've a stack of other books on non British hallmarks, as I tend to buy single subject ones, if that makes sense. I've looked at Tardy on our hallmarks and they're not good.

Silver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted