Featured Tatting on badly yellowed pillow cases

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi,
    A couple of years before I was married in the mid sixties, my mother had an elderly friend who did wonderful tatting....and my mother asked her if she would make me some tatted pillow cases for wedding (or shower...don't remember which!) presents....well, I now still have some beautifully tatted cases....7 sets to be exact....the tatting is fine, but the cases are BADLY yellowed! Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to whiten the pillow cases?? I'm going to post pics of just 3 samples of the tatting....would it be better to remove the tatting from the pillow cases? (Am no spring chicken either...so not something I would look forward to, but....) Thanks in advance for any help...
    Sue

Attached Files:

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, the "LargerLace" tatting is breathtaking. How lovely. The other tatting is quite pretty, but I think the "LargerLace" steals the show. ;)

Edited to add: Oopsy on my part!!!! (see subsequent response by Lauragarnet).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Hi Aquitaine,
    That is crocheted lace or edging, not tatting.
    Go to Google images, search and look at tatted lace edgings and then look at crochet lace edgings.
    You'll notice the difference right away.

jackolin likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If cotton, I would soak in 1C borax and water for several days.
    Rinse in a gentle cycle with 1/4C - 1/2C white vinegar.
    Then rinse again in plain water.

Pat P and Messilane like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would wash in soapy water and several rinses but NO softener and dry outside in the sun on the grass. I am old fashioned but it works on yellowed whites. Doing it for years, always works. I had the whitest lab coats of anybody.
    greg

Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Thanks Lauragarnet....I really didn't know which it was, so took a shot!!!
    AND thanks ClutteredCloset49 and Greg...I've saved everyone's input so I can at least try!!!

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

A woman from whom I bought some antique linens a few years ago told me that she swears by RESTORATION ANTIQUE LAUNDRY DETERGENT.

I hung onto the name, planning to get some myself for some other old items, but I never have got around to it. In any case, I believe you can still find it here:

http://englesideproducts.com/product/restoration-antique-laundry-detergent

8. Aquitaine

So, Lauragarnet, from what I'm seeing on the Google comparison, is that the tatting is much more fragile and the crocheting is much sturdier and solid!!! Thanks so much for the help on that and for clarifying that!!!! LOVE learning new stuff!!
    Sue

9. Aquitaine

AWESOME SBSVC, will go check that out right now!! Thanks so much!!!
    Sue

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That drying in sunshine thing works best if you've rinsed the tellowing item in water and lemon juice first.

Pat P likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Lovely edges... I'd want to preserve the cases, too.

Thanks from me, too, for the tips. I have some old handwork and lace that have yellowed spots and this will be a big help.

Draft saved Draft deleted