Featured Tavern Table

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

An early tavern table with later top. All oak.
    I've seen the lambs tongue stretchers associated with pieces done from the Roubo book, but I haven't seen any plates from the book showing tables. I've seen these types of stretchers on larger tables, but the only one I could find on a tavern table was one made by the Ursaline maker from New Orleans, easily searchable. I'm sure it's not that but was wondering if it was a monastic type of piece. Anyone ID specific age and origins by way of hardware or other characteristics? No rose heads, all pegged.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Guesses English, 1st half 18th century. It doesn't look like a church or monastic piece to me, likely an english side table. Naturally, I have limited knowledge of english furniture, wait for others to post.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Out of my realm of expertise as well but would also think English.

judy, Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree English, and I'm much more used to looking at American furniture too. That said, the turnings are quite restrained. You know its a later top, so won't bother with that. The drawer bottom isn't at all what I'd expect either, look like it was nailed to the drawer and not panel floating in grooves? Why does it look like finish is applied inside drawer? (Do you think the drawer may be replaced also?) Could you show a pic of the drawer bottom, and of the inside of the drawer front where the pull attaches? Also the whole piece turned upside down with the drawer out to see the unfinished wood?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. James Conrad

That is typical early 18th construction both in america & europe. You don't see the groove in drawer runners much until the 19th century, at least in USA

7. Jeff Drum

Then there should be quite a whole lot of wear on the bottom, and from the side it doesn't look like there is; though a view of the bottom will tell a lot more. I assume this construction would cause most drawer bottoms of this type to be replaced, unless for a seldom-used drawer. OP said no nails - but this construction must have used nails right?

I've seen late 18th century US drawers (chests, desks) with grooved drawer bottoms. Don't run into much early 18th century. This doesn't look early 18th to me (though I could be wrong).

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Yes, typically the bottom is nailed on, front & back.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

Here is a 1690-1710 Boston chest of drawers pic of drawer construction. Drawers are side hung as well which is typical 17th century construction.

dovetail.jpg

10. Jeff Drum

Compare the picture of the one you posted to the one in the OPs, and you'll see why I question whether it is early 18th century.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not seeing dimensions, my first thoughts were either side table, as Brad has said, or bed side table.....but in reading what Jeff Drum has to say, I too see a lack of wear on the side or bottom of the opened drawer....assuming that's where he meant!!! BUT, I'd still take it!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:):):):):)

judy, James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. James Conrad

Jeff, I think you are comparing apples to oranges here, one is 17th century construction with side hung drawers, the other is 1st half 18th century construction. Notice how thick drawer runner/drawer side is in OP drawer pic, not quite as thick as side hung but leaning that way. The bottoms of both drawers are nailed on usually and both have a single dovetail.
    Additionally, 1 is probably english (OP) the other is for sure american. Naturally, in 1690 Boston it was probably an english immigrant, lol.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

I didn't say I expect them to be the same. But the OP picture has no apparent wear at all, which is what I am looking for and not seeing. The US piece has significant drawer slide wear, so that a 1/2" or so piece of wood has been scarfed on. I see that a lot on 18th and even 19th century drawers that have gotten a lot of usage. There is nothing like that apparent on the base of the OP's which is where the wear would occur on that one. No apparent shrinkage either, which is also evident in the US piece.

Always hard to tell from a single picture of a drawer, but I really don't see the wear I would expect for a drawer from an early 18th century piece. That can change with follow-up pics, but so far I'm not seeing it. Drawer pull questions too (I'd like to see the inside attachment).

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. James Conrad

Yeah, the entire piece looks refinished, drawer included. Yes, the side hung drawer runners have been restored on Boston chest, no getting around it after several million pulls.
    Here is the Boston chest

bird chest.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. Jeff Drum

Yes, that is certainly one possibility I've been putting out there. Or maybe the whole piece is made up. England made a lot of furniture out of antiqued wood or bits of old wood for the US trade, back when antiques were first being collected in the late 19th, early 20 century.

Fid, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

James - is that a painted rug? :eek:
    What a beautiful room!

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

Painted? like on the floor? no, just an old woven rug.

18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

No? My eyes have betrayed me! :hilarious:
    It's still a beautiful room.

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  19. James Conrad

LOL, yeah, happens to me ALL the time with photo's of old furniture, the camera lies!

20. James Conrad

Another point about this period of furniture building that is mostly forgotten, there was a stone cold REVOLUTION going on in the making of furniture in america, europe also. For centuries prior, furniture was built by joiners primarily from riven (split) oak and decorated with shallow relief carving. This furniture tends to be rather boxy & chunky in appearance, they were making furniture by splitting felled oak trees with wedges and planing this split (riven) wood into boards to be joined.
    What caused this revolution in furniture making? TOOLS! Prior to the late 17th early 18th century we simply did not have the tools to build william & mary and later queen anne furniture crafted by a brand new trade in woodworking, cabinetmakers.
    Take that Boston chest above, the frame is riven oak (traditional material of joiners), the side panels are sawn pine as are the drawer fronts & top. It's kind of a transitional piece with prior joiner elements (frame) and a nod to the brand new style of william & mary with bun feet & that single dovetail on drawer built by cabinetmakers.
    Question: what's the difference between a carpenter, a joiner & a cabinetmaker
    Answer: Nails, pegs & dovetails :joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted