Featured Taxco 980 Silver and Turquoise Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Apr 12, 2020.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I've had this pin for probably a couple of years (I did search this forum and don't think I have posted this here before). Marked simply Taxco 980 on the back. i do remember from my former 'research' finding a maker that might possibly have made it, but could not find anything to actually confirm it (and of course did not save any references to said 'research'). Just wondering if anyone has seen similar work/style like this and can associate with a maker? Thoughts on age? It is 2" across and weighs 36.4 grams. The clasp is a simple C shape. IMG_4910-2.jpg IMG_4913.JPG

patd8643, anundverkaufen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Wow...what a find anyway! The piece you found is basically the same except the one I have is mounted on another disc. Did you do a reverse image search?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. flipper

No, I am not sure I know what that is...but if you mean a google search for image? Those are usually laughable. I want to make a book about what the image search tells you things are. Like, this piece? It says Tokyo Station!:D
    Actually, I just enter some keywords and visually scan for the most part...narrowing my search along the way.

Christmasjoy and wenna like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Wonder if the OP's should say 1980 on the back like the one in the link flipper found. Methinks yes.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ummm, they both say '980' - usually date to around the 1930s-'40s...

~Cheryl

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thanks Cheryl. My mistake. At quick glance the linked one looked like 1980. My Bad!:banghead:

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

By the way, it's a nice looking brooch, I like it...

~Cheryl

wenna likes this.
  10. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

11. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thanks flipper, yes, I meant a google image search using an uploaded file. I tried again and found the above link (previous post). So, now I remember the info I found before but since it is not signed I hesitate to list it as such. That was and still is my dilemma. I need to authenticate it somehow...

12. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Apparently, La Cucaracha is actually a 'retailer of high end jewelry' in Mexico. So that mystery is solved I guess. Now, what about the way it is (not) marked? I think that means it would have been made before Mexico started using their current marking system?

13. flipper

http://www.jacksonjewels.com/Reference/Silver_Jewerly_Information_Hallmarks.htm

This is an excerpt from this site explaining Mexico marks, etc. Maybe it can help you decide what you are looking at and how you want to proceed?

"Mexican silver purity marks ranging from the 1900’s to the early 1970’s were marked “MEXICO SILVER”, “900”, “925”, “970”, “980” and “Eagle numbered”. “Mexico Silver” or “Silver Made in Mexico” are seen on jewelry pieces from the 1920’s through mid-1940’s with varies of silver standard above .925 purity. The intaglio “900” mark is found on work dating from 1900 until the 1920’s. Intaglio marks “980”, “960”, “940”, and “925” are from the mid 1930’s to the mid 1940’s. The “970” was the favorite standard of Antonio Pineda. From the 1950’s and later, most work was stamped “Sterling” or with an incuse (hammered or stamped in) “925” stamp. The “Eagle” form marks were instituted by the Mexican government in 1948. The Eagle sketched was used until 1955 and then a silhouetted Eagle was used until the late 1960’s or early 1970’s. The number on the Eagle’s chest indicated either the city of assay (the analysis of the silver content) or an individual maker, or the manufacturing company. Eagle stamp#1 was for Mexico City, stamp#3 was for Taxco, and stamp#16 was registered to Margot. This information is only a generality.

After 1979, Registry marks were required i.e. TS-24 TAXCO which is a registration system which combines letters and numbers with the first letter representing location, the second letter is the first letter of the maker’s first or last name and the number represents the order in which the maker registered his mark. The T represents Taxco, Mexico, the S is the first letter of the maker’s first or last name and the 24 shows that his maker was the 24th individual to register under the letter combination of “TS”. There were many variations and exceptions to the above markings put on Mexican jewelry. Also be aware that smaller pieces of jewelry may not have an Eagle mark due to lack of space so the Eagle would then be stamped on a hanging tag that was attached to the jewelry which most times would have be removed by the buyer."

wenna likes this.
  14. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thanks again @flipper. I found that info on the 925-1000 site also. I guess I can put this to bed now...I appreciate your input!

Draft saved Draft deleted