Taxco Sterling Mark ID- TIA!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me ID the maker and approximate age of this bracelet? TIA! DSCF3306 (393x480).jpg

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Bracelet front:

DSCF3303 (480x352).jpg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I believe the bell was used after 1970, but don't quote me.

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That eagle is the 1955 to 1970 type

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm saying to myself Eagle? what eagle? So I went here

http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

And sure enough what I have thought was a bell all these years is supposed to be an eagle.
    Thanks terry for setting me straight. LOL

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am seeing hands holding a skull. An ancient Meso American ball game was played with a skull- Taxco is one of the areas where this was done. Strange....

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, I did research there, nada.

8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

What are the initials in the middle of the mark? They look a little like CHM or CIM. I'm on my iPad making things a bit harder to see. Like the others I definitely see the "newer style" of the eagle with the number 3 that was used like Terry said from 1955 to 1980. The eagle was suppose to designated sterling, .925, but some articles have been found only of .900 purity. The circle of words with the initials in the middle, I can't make out. I have Hougart's The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks at home. It will be a couple of days before I have it in hand. Some of the book is online, but only the first few pages. Page 9 shows the eagles with explanation.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=4n7_jNrBp9EC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

If I knew what the initials were, possibly I could ID the maker when I got home.

--- Susan

9. Ladybranch

On zooming in on this mark and inverting it, I do believe the initials are EMM followed by another letter that is probably the letter "A" making it "EMMA" for the mark of Emma Melendez of Taxco that was assigned an Eagle 3. Around EMMA is "Taxco Hecho ..." The rest is covered by the ring. The eagle has been stamped above and on the "O" of Taxco and the "H" of HECHO.

http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/Melendez,_Emma_Jewelry_Maker's_Mark

--- Susan

image.jpg

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you sooo much!!!!

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The initials look to me like "CHM" or "CMM," and I can't find any maker whose name fits that. My understanding is that each of the numbers inside the eagle was assigned to more than one maker, and sometimes simply designated the location.

This list might help...

http://www.modernsilver.com/SFITEMS.html

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks- I need all the help I can get when it comes to silver jewelry. I never really bought it until an antique dealer said I should since it is what sells the best jewelry-wise.

Pat P likes this.
  13. Ladybranch

I'm home now and looking through Hougart's The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks. I can't prove the mark is for Emma Melendez. :( Looking at the inverted or negative image of the mark, it looks to me as EMM while looking at the regular image not inverted it looks like CHM, CIM or CMM as Pat sees it and as I first thought. Hougart on pp. 116 and 117 does not show an Emma Melendez mark like this one. The marks shown have a definite EMMA with Sterling above and TAXCO below. The author says she used eagle numbers 2 and 3. As Pat said eagle numbers were used by more than one person. In fact the Eagle 3 stamp was probably used by over 300 people. Looking down the longggg list of those using the Eagle 3 stamp, I see no CHM, CIM, or CMM.

Here are the Cs:
    CAD, CAG, Calderas, California Silver Shop, CARF, Casa Figueroa, Castaneda, Carlos Castillo, Pedro Castillo, Reveriano Castillo, R. Cazares, CBC, CBS, CCC, CCH, CDL, CEL, CET, CGP, Roman. Chavarrieta, Cheo, Erika Hult de Corral (ric), CP, CRC, CRV.

The Ms:
    M, 3M, MAB, Maciel Silver Factory, Felipe Martinez, M. Martinez, Miguel Garcia Martinez, MB, MC, Emma Melendez, Miguel Melendez, MES, MF, MH, MLA, MLL, MLM, MLO, MLV, MM, MMA, MMC, MMS, Serafin Moctezuma, Fortino Mota, MPC, MRV, MS, MSR, A Munoz.

Under the Three or Four Letter Initials section using any eagle, there is no CHM, CIM, or CMM listed. There is an "EMM" listed (p. 229) saying only: "EMM Sterling Taxco." With no name given means the author doesn't know the maker's name. All mention of Emma Melendez shows/tells that EMMA is distinctively written - 4 letters. Using my desktop computer, I can now say, I honestly don't see a 4th letter.

"EMMA Emma Melendez. Eagle 2, 3"
    "Emma Script. Inside an oval. Emma Melendez."

At this stage, I feel you can not attribute this item to Emma Melendez. You can describe the initials as possibly "EMM," "CHM," "CIM" or "CMM."

--- Susan

spirit-of-shiloh and Pat P like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you for your hard work. I appreciate it.

Pat P likes this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Even when the mark can be identified, it doesn't always help that much. I have family pieces from the 40s and 50s that have the Far Fan mark. Although Far Fan is known to have been located in Mexico City and pieces pop up fairly regularly, no one seems to know anything about the company or designer.

16. Sosweetantiques

Sosweetantiques New Member

HI I am desperately looking for some help as well. I am looking to find out who or what company belongs to the eagle mark with 12 in the center. I swear I have found every number but the one I am looking for. I cant seem to open any of the files to download with the eagle numbers. Can anyone help?

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No one knows,the system was a failure...... http://www.silvercollection.it/mexicosilvermarks.html

i need help likes this.
  18. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Here’s the page for Eagle 12. Some good names! Good luck.
    DF051A33-0EB1-4F62-AE3F-0630E470281D.jpeg

komokwa and i need help like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

zzzzbatTHREAD.jpg

almost 7 years..........it must be a record here !!!
    &...
    it shows the importance of a proper title..!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted