TAXCO Sterling Necklace & Bracelet WHODUNNIT?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by vitry-le-francois, Oct 11, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Paid $40.00 at a thrift store. That's usually out of my comfort zone but I thought it was nice looking at the time. Any idea who made it? Or is this just a generic Taxco item? Thanks in advance!

taxco7.jpg taxco6.jpg taxco1.jpg taxco4.jpg taxco2.jpg taxco3.jpg

Batman_2000 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

At the moment can't help on the maker; however, will note that the markings are not consistant on city. The marks in the 4th pic are for Mexico City. The D.F. under Mexico is for the Distrito Federal (Federal District of Mexico City). The 6th pic has the markings for the city of Taxco. Wonder what is after Taxco that begins with GH or CH?? The 4th pic seems to have the initials "T.J." Or T.U. After the silver purity .925 mark. Wonder if TJ are the maker's initials for the silver made in Mexico City and the GH or CH the initials of the maker for the silver made/assayed in Taxco? I can't find these initials so far in Hougart's The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks.

I don't see a Mexican eagle mark, which may means it was made before 1948 or possibly after 1980???

--- Susan

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Lady, thanks for the reply. I was finding the same questions you discovered. I couldn't find much in Morrill & Berk's book, Mexican Silver.

4. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The marks on this look funny; I'd have it tested just in case. The green bits are malachite.

Draft saved Draft deleted