Taylor Witness Sheffield Bowie Knife

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by steve cox, Jan 4, 2018.

1. steve cox

steve cox New Member

In the 1980’s a friend of my Grandmother gave me this knife as I was a Boy Scout. I forgot I had it until I this week sorted my attic. It has a leather sheaf and hand written on it is 28/1/38 D3571/6 or it maybe D3521/6 or possibly 73521/6 5/9 r/x.

Sadly the gentleman had no family and he was in his late 80’s then so I have nobody to ask. I believe he was a spitfire pilot during WWII and he carried this knife when on duty.

Can anyone tell me about it at all?

Thank you

Steve

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hello Steve! Welcome to Antiquers.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  4. steve cox

steve cox New Member

Thank you, I thought perhaps the military purchased these from Taylor’s, I reckon he must have purchased this himself, it is definitely quite old and is made of silver and brass. I will contact the company to see how old this one is, the date on the sheaf indicates that is was at the latest 1938.

Thanks again

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Or if no luck with maker, post on a knife forum, they know all about the eye witness knives.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    judy and LIbraryLady like this.
  6. steve cox

steve cox New Member

Thanks will do

judy likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Keep in mind that sheaths, like picture frames, may not be original to the object. You also don’t really know what those handwritten dates represent. When you set those preconceived notions aside, you really only have the knife itself. Stories handed down without provenance don’t support conclusions. The advice about contacting the company is your best bet

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted